Re: Drip Cakes

Decorating By ThatCakeDude42 Updated 15 May 2019 , 8:45pm by mariak

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 15 May 2019 , 8:59am
post #1 of 3

Quote by @mariak on 3 hours ago

I have done several drip cakes and they never turn out the way I want them to. I have used different ratios for the ganache and tried different ones. It always seems to go too far down the cake. I completely chill my cake and make sure the ganache isn't too runny. I want the drips to be controlled but not look like they are. I have watched a million videos but it still isn't right. No matter what I do or what I use the drips continue to go all the way to the bottom. Also when I have needed to paint the drips gold the ganache never fully hardens so it is tricky to do. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated! I live these cakes but they have become my nightmare orders! 

The drips will go all the way to the bottom if the ganache has too much heavy cream and/or it is too warm. Since you say it never fully hardens, I'd guess your ganache has too much heavy cream.  I use 4oz of heavy cream per 6oz of semi-sweet chocolate. For white chocolate, I use 1.5-2oz of heavy cream per 6oz. Milk chocolate is somewhere in between. I heat the heavy cream on the stove until it begins to bubble, but before it boils, then pour it over the chips, wait 1-2 minutes, and then whisk smooth.  It takes a long time for it to cool to drip consistency. I make the ganache first and then let it cool at room temperature while I frost and chill the cake. If it were to get too thick before you're ready to use it, just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. When ready, fill a squeeze bottle and have fun. You can regulate the size and length of the drips by how much you squeeze out.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2019 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 3

great answer, cakedude 

and good on you for figuring out how to post when you are in the initial stages of your membership when responding to posts is limited +1

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 15 May 2019 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for the help. Hopefully this weekends cake will be better. I actually have 2!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%