Drip Cakes

Decorating By mariak Updated 15 May 2019 , 7:44pm by MerMadeBakedGoods

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 15 May 2019 , 3:56am
post #1 of 7

I have done several drip cakes and they never turn out the way I want them to. I have used different ratios for the ganache and tried different ones. It always seems to go too far down the cake. I completely chill my cake and make sure the ganache isn't too runny. I want the drips to be controlled but not look like they are. I have watched a million videos but it still isn't right. No matter what I do or what I use the drips continue to go all the way to the bottom. Also when I have needed to paint the drips gold the ganache never fully hardens so it is tricky to do. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated! I live these cakes but they have become my nightmare orders! 

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2019 , 4:26am
post #2 of 7

Personally, I prefer the irregular drip cakes where some go to the bottom and some not, where some drips are small and some are fat.  I've made drips with melted candy melts without adding any cream and it sets firm enough to paint.  Since you do not want your drips to go all the way to the bottom, maybe you just need to squeeze out a smaller amount of ganache.  If you don't use a squeeze bottle or a piping tip, try it.  It makes for much better control.

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 15 May 2019 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 7

I do use a piping bag and it doesnt matter how little I squeeze out they go all the way down. I don't mind if some do but I dont want all of them to. The last time I did it the drip itself goes all the way down but the trail it leaves is very thin and you almost dont see it. If that makes sense.  Maybe I just need more practice!

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 15 May 2019 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 7

You may have already tried the method below, but just in case you haven’t...

Okay- this may sound crazy, but then forget the piping bag!

make sure the consistency is right and start in the middle of the cake. Only pour into the middle a smidge at a time until the ganache starts to make it to the edge. Stop before the ganache gets all the way there!!! This can test my patience a LOT :). Guide the ganache with the back of a spoon until you push only a wee bit over the edge. If you add ganache, don’t add it on the edge. Put some before the edge and then guide it over.

if your ganache is the right consistency, guiding it gently won’t leave lumps or bumps.

Also, white ganache (and some poor quality milk chocolate) is trickier since there’s more water content...always start with less liquid.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2019 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 7

MerMadeBakesGoods, I think your method makes for the most beautiful top, for sure.  When I tried it, though, I made all manner of mess.  I am no expert for sure!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2019 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 7

and you have another great answer from cakedude here:

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/851132/re-drip-cakes

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 15 May 2019 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 7

Oh no - we’ll that doesn’t bode well because I feel like you can do anything!

Then I’m out of ideas!!:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%