How Do You Manage And Keep Track Of All Your Orders?

Business By tanu1231 Updated 14 May 2019 , 5:27pm by inthekitchen2

tanu1231 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanu1231 Posted 13 May 2019 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hello cake fam!

I've been running a home-based cake business for 10 years now. In the past 2 years, it's become very busy and i'm finding it very difficult to keep track of what orders I have. I get messages from facebook, instagram, phone calls, email, texts, whatsapp and I find myself forgetting about certain orders very last minute. This past weekend, I completely forgot to make a cake and I had 2 hours to make one in time. Thankfully I did it, but I don't want this to happen again. 

I wanted to know if theres a special program or calendar you use to organize and clearly see what orders you have. I currently use the appointment feature in the facebook business page app but Im not really happy with it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Tanya

5 replies
mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 13 May 2019 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 6

X-large dry erase board. I only take orders by phone (landline) or at the bakery. I write the order in my book then the dry erase board. Check every day. I don't know how you all do it on all the different apps and media sites . I'd pull my hair out.

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 14 May 2019 , 2:07am
post #3 of 6

Wow, that is a lot going on! I would maybe cut back on all the ways you take orders— I agree with the other comment— I’d pull my hair out!

I also use a dry erase board, the notes app on my phone, and sometimes even sticky notes.  The board helps the most.

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 14 May 2019 , 4:36am
post #4 of 6

If you are really getting that much business, especially internet orders, then it is probably going to be beneficial for you to get a website going. Personally, I have an excel spreadsheet that I made up that I am able to write down or link all the specifics on the cake, including any items that I need to buy. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 14 May 2019 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 6

You definitely need to condense all of your orders down to one spot.  I agree that a large dry erase board calendar would be your best bet.  Make it a habit that as soon as you get an order that you write it/type it out so you have easy access to all the details and then make note of it on your dry erase board.  This way when you look at your board you will see something like "Smith Cake Due" and then you can go to your book and see what is exactly involved with that cake.  Make up your own code/system (whether it be certain colored markers or words, etc) to denote whether it is a wedding cake, birthday cake, etc and possibly time involved for that cake and how early you need to start working on items for that cake.

This is definitely something where you need to find what works best for you, but getting all your orders down in one place since you collect orders from so many locations is a good start.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 14 May 2019 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 6

I'm old school and like having something tangible to look at, so I have one of those massive calendars that are kept by my desk. As soon as an order is taken, it is written down on that date with every detail, including price. Once the invoice is paid I mark that down too, so I know it is good to go and if I need to harass anyone as it gets closer to the date. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%