Wedding Cake Dilemma

Decorating By Aatchiso Updated 5 May 2019 , 5:04pm by -K8memphis

Aatchiso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aatchiso Posted 4 May 2019 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 15

By rainbow filling I mean they want the middle to look the colors of the rainbow when you cut into it. Again, with cream cheese frosting.

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2019 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 15

I mean the icing probably would run together when sliced through -- how do you prevent that? you can certainly place multi-layers of icing down but how would you later slice that so it stays pretty -- idk -- you could do rainbow cake layers easier but that's a big pia -- I mean maybe the icing layers would work but I don't know -- they are really asking a lot of you -- not saying it's impossible just saying your first wedding cake is hard enough -- these curve balls are adding to the drama --

you would need to test this out in advance to see how it does -- I mean maybe you could put some gelatin in there to help hold things tight -- but in all my years I've never seen it done -- again though not that it's not possible -- just never seen it -- maybe if you let the crust over in between each color it might hold better when you cut it -- and cream cheese icing is hazardous it has to be kept cold to be safe -- so for those reasons real cream cheese icing is out -- it does not have that kind of shelf life -- more on that later...

a wedding cake has two purposes to be the focal point and to be dessert -- so you lose half of it's function to use an icing that has to be kept in the fridge until serving time --

there's a recipe that uses white balsamic vinegar that creates a nice tang just like cream cheese and it is not hazardous -- I haven't tried it in chocolate  but no reason why it wouldn't work -- white balsamic vinegar is available on amazon and in most grocery stores that sell a variety of oils & vinegars and Walmart too

recipe https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2019 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 15

*maybe if you let the icing crust over in between each color

-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2019 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 15

see, you already have a ton of testing to do besides learning how to construct and deliver your first cake -- huge learning curve here for you 

-K8memphis Posted 4 May 2019 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 15

what about rainbow drips on the sides and/or rainbow sprinkles -- on the outside though -- you could also create a cavity inside the top tier and have rainbow colored sprinkles pout out when it's cut -- 

rainbow drips on a choco cake would be pretty -- not particularly bridal though -- need to glam it up a bit --

how 'bout a rainbow in the batter groom's cake blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2019 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 15

1st off let me say that coloring b'cream icing will not effect the taste *unless* you use deep, dark, bold colors like black; navy blue, red & others.   To tint the rainbow colors is fine.  I agree w/K8's uggestion of using that vinager recipe for the b'cream. 

BUT....as K8 pointed out this is asking much of a biginner.  You have to tell the people when such things are not possible.  Don't be afraid to especially when you say they are young & don't understand about such things.    I don't think K8's concern about the filling spreading is that uch of a problem.  Though not as a filling I have layered up to 6 different colors of b'cream (for piping autumn leaves).  Using gelatin does not sound good to me.   It will make the b'cream  slippery in my opinion :(      Why would they want brown?   & how deep, dark?  More like a tan, or beige or milk choco?  Can it actually be chocolate b'cream??  That would go w/red velvet cake :) 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 5 May 2019 , 2:29am
post #7 of 15

For the cream cheese buttercream, I would definately use the white balsamic buttercream recipe. It will fool everyone, I swear.  For the rainbow inside, I would go with something like this. It's fairly easy to realise and it could be nice with the red velvet. 

https://www.sugarhero.com/rainbow-cake/

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 May 2019 , 4:11am
post #8 of 15

Laetia that’s a great link!  

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2019 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 15

yes that’s a great rainbow effect — although wedding cakes of any size are not sliced like that — and it looks lovely with the white cake— wonder how appetizing it will be with the darker red cake — probably ok I guess —  

it’s just not bridal to me — grooms cake yes — party cake yes —but of course it doesn’t have to make sense to me —

if you go with cakes 9” and under that would work to slice & serve them that way — but I would make sure the red icing doesn’t wash out next to the red cake — make it a fuschia so it contrasts with the rest of the colors of the rainbow — so you could display all the cakes on risers of varying heights covered with a pretty cloth 

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2019 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 15

and that would be an easy out for your first wedding cake too — no dowel — no stacking — 

you just pipe the different colored icing in concentric colors on the top of each layer — easy peasy!

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2019 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 15

and that would be an easy out for your first wedding cake too — no dowel — no stacking — 

you just pipe the different colored icing in concentric colors on the top of each layer — easy peasy!

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2019 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 15

or maybe go with more of a pastel rainbow against the vibrant colored cake?

that’s something you’ll have to determine with your testing — what you think looks best — i’m just tossing out possible ideas

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 May 2019 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 15

My first thought was to torte the layers and put a different color frosting between each layer.  With a red velvet cake, if they want it to be brown on the outside, I would definitely go with a chocolate cream cheese - using -K8memphis's balsamic vinegar recipe with cocoa added.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 5 May 2019 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 15

I cant quote so I've cut and paste....

K8memphis Posted 2 hours ago
post #9 of 13
Actions 

yes that’s a great rainbow effect — although wedding cakes of any size are not sliced like that

You are so right K8, I didn't think about that. It might look weird if the cake is cut in 1x4 rectangle pieces. .

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2019 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 15

"if you go with cakes 9” and under" I mean nine inches and smaller 9", 8", 7", 6", 5", 4" and just use the whatever combination that makes up the serving count you want -- 

like if you needed 125 servings you could do four 8" cakes and one 9" or for 150 servings you could do three 9" cakes and five 6" cakes -- any combination that adds up to your total servings -- you've seen this kind of set up yes?

like this 

https://www.theknot.com/content/13-tips-for-a-tempting-cake-table

or you can use any kind of riser underneath -- example put an upturned pot or a stack of books -- caterers use upside down milk crates, etc. -- then scrunch cover all of it skillfully with a pretty table cloth and lace on top or whatever -- you don't have to purchase all the cakes stands -- you could use cake dummies under there anything

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%