Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 6 May 2019 , 5:18pm by Rachel_n_VA

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 4 May 2019 , 12:04am
post #1 of 11

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

I changed my mind half a dozen times with how I would decorate my mom's birthday cake. She loves elephants and so I was tempted to make her one like I made last week but then decided she needed a cake unique to her, not something I had already made for someone else. Her name is Susan and she has brown eyes so whenever brown eyes Susans are blooming she'll point to them and say "there I am!" Because of that I decided to do brown eyes Susans on her cake along with a buttercream swipe ( if that is even what it's called?) as I've been wanting to try that. It was vanilla bean cake with lemon curd and vanilla bean SMBC. She liked it and said it tasted great so I guess I did ok.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to!

Kelly

10 replies
kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 4 May 2019 , 12:05am
post #2 of 11

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 4 May 2019 , 1:52am
post #3 of 11

Such a pretty cake Kelly! I love the story behind it. I didn't know the english name of that flower. Brown eyed Susan, lovely. I have a whole lot of them in my backyard.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 4 May 2019 , 9:20am
post #4 of 11

We had a bake off at work this week themed around the tour de Yorkshire which is a big bike race that passed my workplace this week. 

Here was my entry. My kids helped by cutting out the cyclists and sticking them to cocktail sticks and cutting out and applying the fondant bunting. 

The cake was Victoria sponge made with brown sugar and a little cinnamon with lotus biscoff spread added to the buttercream and crushed lotus biscoff cookies between the layers.

We won the bake off!

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 4 May 2019 , 9:21am
post #5 of 11

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 5 May 2019 , 2:48am
post #6 of 11

Congrats, louglou!!! 

Kelly - beautiful as always.

This week I bit off a tad more than I could chew but I just finished! I delivered baby shower cookies yesterday with a jungle theme (turquoise color party decor) and I just finished the one year old flamingo-hibiscus-pineapple insanity. Plus a smash cake (oops..forgot to take a pic).

also- I know there’s a LOT going on on this cake. The customer always insists on a 360 degree design and this time was no different :).

thanks to many of you for giving me the strength to charge the appropriate amount for this cake and the courage to tell her I am no longer meeting her half-way to avoid my delivery charge. You guys rock!

Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/03/19

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 5 May 2019 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 11

Congratulation on your win @louglou, great cake!

@MerMadeBakedGoods your pineapple flamingo cake came out looking very pretty. The flamingo on it's own is awesome!

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 May 2019 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 11

This week was the first time I had two cakes due and picked up Friday evening.  Needless to say I was super thankful for being a telecommuter so that during my down time at work I could complete small things here and there to get these cakes done and out the door.

First was a simple, but large first communion cake.  It is amazing how heavy a 12" round cake gets once icing is added!

Second was a WWE birthday cake.  Two things I would change would be the thickness of the "ropes" and make the numbers black instead of red so they show up better.  But my friend was super happy so that is all that matters.

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 6 May 2019 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 11

I debated not sharing this week because I'm not thrilled with the outcome.   I procrastinated and ended up finalizing this close to midnight, so I took too many shortcuts getting the icing smooth.  But after seeing Kelly's, I just had to say "ME TOO!"  My mom's 80th birthday is Wednesday.  Her name is Pansy, so I included pansies on her cake.  This was my first attempt at buttercream pansies and they're not perfect, but she loves me enough that she'll be happy.  :)

Yellow cake with lemon zest, fillings are alternating lemon curd and blueberry preserves.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 May 2019 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 11

Oh Rachel your pansies are great!  It does my heart good to see someone work in b’cream & do it so well:)   Did you Use a crusting b’cream & let them dry before placing them on the cake?  It makes it sooo much easier 

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 6 May 2019 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, Kakeladi, I used a full-shortening ABC.  Not the tastiest thing in the world, but easier to work with that the full-butter ABC I used on the cake.  I had planned to do SMBC, but flat ran out of time.  Thanks for your encouraging words.  I'm a newbie and an amateur, but enjoy making cakes for my family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%