14" Square Victoria Sponge

Baking By chrisl645 Updated 2 May 2019 , 2:04pm by kakeladi

chrisl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisl645 Posted 2 May 2019 , 9:07am
post #1 of 3

Hi all. 

Im baking a 1st birthday cake at 14" square tin, its obviously quite large. The idea being to cut it into a number one.

Im just a bit nervous about the middle not cooking. Ive bought some baking strips to stop the crusting on the edges.

I did a test run last week with just four eggs to figure out quantitys and it was quite thin and barley covering the tin bit only took 25 minutesto cook. I plan on using around 10 eggs to get to the required height, would this be about right for a cake of this size? After slicing in half to add the jam.

Ive seen very conflicting advice on line regarding cooking times and temperatures, some say 1 hour other saying over two????

Any help would be much appreciated as the big bake is happening tomorrow ready for Sunday.

Thanks

2 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 2 May 2019 , 11:01am
post #2 of 3

That is a big tin. Can you get some metal flower nails? I would use a few of these as they help distribute the heat. 

I think you’d need a 12 egg mix to get enough height to be able to split. Or you could do 2 x 6 egg layers and not split them. I think splitting such a big and delicate cake would be very tricky and it would likely break.

Personally I would bake in loaf tins and build up the number 1 from rectangles rather than baking a huge cake and cutting out the shape. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2019 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 3

Very good suggestions louglou 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%