Is There A Solution To Buttercream Bulging With An Air Bubble???

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 30 Apr 2019 , 10:30pm by ypierce82

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

Doing a wedding cake for tomorrow (Friday).  Frosting and decorating in buttercream.  Two layer cake with fruit filling.  One of my layers keeps producing an air bubble under the buttercream.  Before I decorated it the bubble showed up, so I put a toothpick in the middle of the bulge and opened up a hole for the air to escape.  I then started from the outside of the bulge covered it with a Viva paper towel and pressed with my fondant smoother toward the hole hoping this would press out the air.  It seemed good, so I decorated.  It came back!  What do I do now??

Christina

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 9

one way is to keep a hole open there through the icing into each layer of that tier -- a standard rule at one of the bakeries I worked at was to do this "in the back" of every tier cake -- or put it in an inconspicuous place -- making an escape hatch for the air 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 9

Once I have decorated my cake, I take a lollipop stick and put a hole in the top of the cake (always gets covered by a dab of icing before the topper goes on). That way the air can escape from the top instead of trying to be worked out from the sides, if that makes sense. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 9

Like the others said just make sure you have a hole where it will be hidden but still allow “breathing “ —not “sealed” 

mrsmac888 Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 9

So, you are all saying that if I just put a hole anywhere inconspicuous the air will find that hole?  In this case, I'll put it close to the bulge, since I think that is it's "weak spot".  In the future, I'll remember to put a hole somewhere!  That's a new one for me!  Thanks ladies!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 9

One of the easiest ways to do it is to make say a1/2 dzn around the base of the cake before adding the border then add one on top before adding the topper 

ypierce82 Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 9

That's what we're saying. Trapped air is going to take the path of least resistance, so to speak. If there is nowhere for the air to escape, it will try to force it's way out through the sides.

mrsmac888 Posted 30 Apr 2019 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 9

Once again the amazing help that I received on CC saved me!  I poked a hole at the bulge and very carefully pressed the buttercream with my fingers then hid the hole with a bit of strategic decorating.  Put an additional hole on the top and no more bulges!  Thanks so much!!

Christina

ypierce82 Posted 30 Apr 2019 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 9

Woo hoo! Keep that tidbit in your back pocket lol I do it on every cake and have not had a bulge since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%