Charging For Custom Cakes!

Baking By Zbowles Updated 28 Apr 2019 , 3:23pm by -K8memphis

Zbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zbowles Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 10

So I know I've asked a ton of price questions in the past, but I've always been torn between not charging enough and charging too much. 

How do you all charge for custom shaped cakes? What would you charge for the one below?! Charging For Custom Cakes!

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 10

Well since you have read some of the many pricing posts  you know that pricing is based on many many many different things such as location how much ALL the ingredients & packaging cost you how long it took you to make it & sooooo much more   W/o knowing what size it is  I would say nothing less than $350 US 

kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 10

Not only do we need to know size but if you made evev the money— even the flavors you used   It all effects pricing 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 10

$7 or $8 a serving with a minimum of yeah like $350 that kakeladi said -- in other words if they need 20 servings and that's under the $350 mark then it still costs $350, the minimum

-K8memphis Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 10

blushbtw — i call those sculptures — a prune filled chocolate cake with strawberry icing and crushed toffee candy pressed into the sides is ‘custom’ 

Zbowles Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks! I ended up telling this particular customer that I didn't have the know-how to pull off this cake, because I didn't! And I'd never want to take on a project just to line my pockets but end up with an unhappy customer. However, I've done work with her in the past and she seemed set on working with me so she gave me another possible project to do and so now I'm working out my pricing for that! It's still a work in progress for me! @_@ 

kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 10

Good for you!   I know how hard that must have been for you to admit.  And good for her to understand and choose something else. 

-K8memphis Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 10

yes good for you and you're on your way to getting there to do that kind of stuff if you can visualize that it's beyond you -- most people look at that and say -- oh yeah that's simple -- HAHAHAHAHAHA

Zbowles Posted 27 Apr 2019 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 10

This is my new assignment! I said $250 so we're seeing if she's willing to pay. Charging For Custom Cakes!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2019 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 10

good work, zbowles -- just put it out there -- excellent

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%