Sweaty Fondant

Decorating By Ash-lee Updated 25 Apr 2019 , 2:08am by SandraSmiley

Ash-lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ash-lee Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 5

After applying my buttercream coat on my cake, i put it in the fridge to set before putting my fondant. After a few minutes in the fridge i took it out and put my fondant and the fondant started becoming sweaty and on touching it, it was sticky. Could i have let the cake stay in the fridge for a long time? or was the fondant too thin? What could have caused this, please help me

4 replies
L.ABakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L.ABakes Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 5

Hello! This will probably be because the cake was still cold when removed from the fridge. If you combine two different temps that are quite different in heat, this will result in sweating. Next time let your cakes come to room temp after chilling them and then cover in fondant. Once the fondant is on, you should NOT put the cake back in the fridge as it will cause sweating once you take it out. If your fondant is already sweaty like now, for instance, put the cake under a fan and it should evaporate the condensation and dry it out. Hope this helps. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 5

Yes the difference between temps is what causes sweating & letting it be w/o touching it is the best way to handle the situation   As LAbakes said you can hurry up the drying process by using a fan or just let it sit out at room temp—-Just Don’t touch it!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 5

Absolutely the temp change between the fridge and the room. I always fondant my cakes while still cold, and put them back in the fridge after I am done decorating. I prefer to deliver my cakes chilled. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2019 , 2:08am
post #5 of 5

I do the same as you, ypierce82, and have had no issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%