Hi, Home Bakers, I Am New :)) Cfl Questions.

Business By FLCakes10 Updated 23 Apr 2019 , 4:22am by kakeladi

FLCakes10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLCakes10 Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 1:56am
post #1 of 3

Hi to the most talented and creative community in the world! 

Thank you all for the incredible work you do here. I have always been reading  the forum and paid a great attention to new cake pictures and tones of information you are so generally sharing.  But finally the moment  came, when I urgently need your help. 

To make a long story short,, I am a self taught cake decorator for 3 years , that just moved to Fl from NJ. Cakes are my passion I think about all the time :)), and have plans to make a big step to the path of doing it under CFL here in Florida. The profit was not my goal for a long time, as almost all of my cakes were given to the friends, neighbours and relatives just to improve my skills and use every opportunity I had to learn a new technique.  Now, my confidence level is high enough to convince me I can do it! :))  But after understanding "why" I want to do this, the question  'How'' is getting under my skin.  I understand that I've got only one chance to make it right . absolutely love working with buttercream flowers . Under the CFL , I am not allowed to make cakes that require refrigeration. Okay...... Then what kind of product am I allowed to create and sell? If it doesn't walk like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's not a duck.  I don`t think it would be fair to the consumer to make them realized I am kind of making the cakes, but its not exactly what they want. The law limits me, but it not supposed to be their problem, right? It's my headache to make sure I follow my dream and I create a product that is on demand.  Then what is left? I can`t bake right now, because the house I am renting is under HOA. My other option would be to rent the house that has no HOA fees and go from there, but then you come back again to the type of  products and service I will be able to provide.,  Another option, is to rent a commercial kitchen, but this will not work under CFL. It means bigger scale production with the necessity to obtain the licences and go through trainings. Not to mention the cost,  I was thinking also of leasing a food truck with equipped kitchen.  I am kind of stuck here... I know it should be some way out . It MUST be! So many people successfully working under the CFL and were able to survive. Please , is there anybody can show me the light at the end of the tonel?  What to do? Your help  is very much appreciated. Thank you. 

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 4:06am
post #2 of 3

I know nothing of Florida food laws, but if they are requiring you to sell only products that do not require refrigeration, it should be too hard.  American Buttercream, Swiss Meringue Buttercream, and Ganache do not require refrigeration and many fillings are counter safe, as well.  You should try and find out if there is a list of ingredients which you are not allowed to use.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 4:22am
post #3 of 3

Sandra is right there should be lots of different flavors and fillings you can use   There must be a list available—just ask   How ever I see no way around the fact that you cannot bake where you are living  but then I know nothing about FL laws either nor what HOA stands for

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%