Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 23 Apr 2019 , 10:55pm by Laetia

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 20 Apr 2019 , 12:23am
post #1 of 20

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Happy Easter weekend everyone! It's another crazy week for me. Back to back cakes again, followed by a 10pm soccer game last night when all I wanted to do was sleep. Lol  I am hosting Easter dinner on Sunday so lots of prep for that which started today.

Cake number one was for my sister in law's grandmother's 90th birthday. The picture she sent me of what she wanted was a 4 tier cake with silhouettes for wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. I said no way to the 4 tier cake as it was way more cake than she needed and it never would have survived our roads. I sent her a list of options and she chose a slab cake. I dislike decorating slab cakes but I knew it was a safe option for transport and in the end I was happy with it.

The second cake was for a first birthday.  I was sent a photo of they wanted but there was no watermark to give credit for the design. The only change I made was black instead of navy blue as per their request.

Look forward to seeing what you've all been up to!

Kelly

19 replies
kstevens Posted 20 Apr 2019 , 12:24am
post #2 of 20

kstevens Posted 20 Apr 2019 , 12:25am
post #3 of 20

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 20 Apr 2019 , 1:09am
post #4 of 20

Kelly- you are RIDICULOUS! Both cakes are amazing. Do you do your silhouettes in fondant? Love the gold touches on both cakes.

I didn’t accept any big cakes this weekend because my daughter turns 3 tomorrow :). All I can say is thank GOD I told her my frosting plan because she matter-of-factly informed this morning that pink and purple are no longer her favorite colors...purple and GREEN are. Well, okay then! Cupcakes for her birthday tomorrow,waiting for her party next week to make the cake.

someone asked me TODAY if I could make a 6” cake for a little boy who loves Clemson University. It’s super simple, but I hid M & M’s inside!! :)

Hope you’re all well.

Meredith

Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 20 Apr 2019 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 20

Kelly- Both of those cakes are amazing! I really like the silhouettes on the birthday cake. 

Meredith- Those cupcakes look delicious. That Clemson cake needs something though- a large red W would have made it a million times better ;-)

I made the infamous fortnite cake. Not 100 percent happy how it turned out but the client loved it. Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 20 Apr 2019 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 20

Holy macaronis!!!!  TheCanadian160 - What’s not to be happy about?!?! That is spot on and fabulous. Details are great; lettering, colors, fondant details, 3D stuff....amazing! Did it take all week?

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 20 Apr 2019 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 20

I spent about 2 days working on it. Mostly I am unhappy with the proportions. I feel that the fortnite logo could have been larger, the bus slightly smaller, and that I made the balloon out of chocolate instead of rice crispies. My wife keeps telling me I'm too hard on myself. 

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 2:32am
post #8 of 20

Kelly as always your cakes are awesome. 

@MerMadeBakedGoods love your cupcakes!

@thecanadian160 what an amazing job. We are our own worst critics. I agree with your wife. 

My niece came over and helped me bake Easter cupcakes. I found out my elbows is broken but healing and my wrist is probably broken. It takes hard to tell but it is not in as much pain. He said it could heal before we can even tell. So having my niece here was a big help and she had fun. 

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 3:26am
post #9 of 20

Kelly, the silhouette cake is just beautiful. Such a cool (and touching) idea to represent such important stages of her life in a cake.

Marian, I like your Easter cupcakes!

I primarily bake cupcakes and had a few orders for cute little bunny butts! I made a cake similar to last week, just a different color scheme and simple flowers.

Marian64 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 3:36am
post #10 of 20

@jessica32 I love your cupcakes especially the bunny butts. Your cake is beautiful.

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 4:53am
post #11 of 20

Next time I decide to do a cake all in one day, someone please slap me! Started this one around 4:00 pm today and just finished! Probably would've looked a bit more polished with fondant, but I think the rough buttercream looks kinda like fur. Ears are chocolate coated in buttercream, tail is from the little bit of fondant I had on hand, arms and feet are fruity pebble cereal treats covered in buttercream, and the eggs and ribbon are pulled sugar. I kind of regret the gold on the cheeks, but by the time I realized it wasn't the best decision, it was too late to do anything about it.

Everyone's cakes look so good! @jessica32 I love the bunny butts! So freaking cute!!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 9:03am
post #12 of 20

Hello from a very sunny England.  I've not posted anything on here for ages because for a while I kept having major problems when I tried to do so.  Hopefully that's all sorted now.  Here are a few of my recent cakes....Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19

hep275 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 9:10am
post #13 of 20

OK so when I try to resize my overly large pictures it bombs out on me so sorry they are huge!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 10:17am
post #14 of 20

Actually on my phone they don’t show large at all   Your work is beautiful   It proves again how simplicity can be so awesome

hep275 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 10:29am
post #15 of 20

Thank you Kakeladi, I work fulltime doing something completely different so the cakes are a hobby although I am registered/legitimate etc.  I've had (for me) a busy April with the elephant first birthday cake, the golden wedding cake, an 'ordinary' victoria sandwich for my youngest daughter's 21st and have an 80th birthday cake to do for this coming Tuesday.  I'm not sure I could do cakes fulltime as it must be hard to stay enjoying them....I am suffering a bit from cake fatigue at the moment so am looking forward to our holiday in early May ....then have another 80th and a 60th to do!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 12:39pm
post #16 of 20

Happy Easter everyone!

Wow, so much beautiful cakes and cupcakes so far! I've made one cake yesterday but my pictures are not taken yet. No good lightening when I finished. I will post them later!

@Kstevens beautiful, as alway! Love the life story of you first cake, very touching. Your first birthday cake wins my heart though, it is so perfectly adorable. Love the textured bow.

@MerMadeBakedGoods your cupcakes look great and the drip on your cake is very well made! 

@thecanadian160 your cake is simply awesome! Maybe it is not as you've pictured it, but you're the only one to know that... To me it looks perfect.

@Marian64 cute cupcakes! I realy hope you'll heal fast and without any physical limitation or recurent pain.

@Jessica32 your cupcakes look so yummy and the bunny butt ones are to die for, so cute! Love the colors of your cake. It reminds me summer afternoon by the lake... when will summer come back?

@angesradieux you've made a carved cake in one day and by night? I do not know if you are brave or crazy! I never would have pulled this out without a melt down! 

@hep275 wow, so many nice cakes. They are all so neat and perfect. The golden wedding and the 80th birthday ones are the perfect exemple of less is more. Both are so gorgeous. I hope to see you more often in the FNCC post now that everything seems to be working well.

Laetia Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 20

Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19Friday Night Cake Club For 04/19/19So here it is, I made this cake for my "grandpa in law" who is turning 95 and for my mother in law who is turning 66 today. At first I was also suppose to include something  along the Easter theme, but I've choose not too.

Bottom is an 8inch maple carrot cake with white balsamic buttercream. Top tier is a 5 inch chocolate cake with raspberry buttercream. 

It is not exactly as I planed because I made my flowers a little too big... Not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out. It's not my first two tiers, but probably my most elaborate cake ever.

Marian64 Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 3:57am
post #18 of 20

@angesradieux I just love your bunny. 

@hep275 I love all your cakes. Everything looks so perfect. My favorite is the golf cake.

@Laetia your cake is beautiful. Love the color.

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 2:44pm
post #19 of 20

Gorgeous, everyone!    I had plans to do Easter-pastel flowers on mini-cupcakes for a potluck dinner at our house Sunday night.   With all the set-up and house cleaning tasks, time got away from me.   I ended up going with a simple pastel swirl instead.  These are whole wheat carrot-cake mini cupcakes with Kate's fabulous white balsamic "cream cheese" buttercream. 

Laetia Posted 23 Apr 2019 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 20

@Rachel_n_VA  Your cupcakes are cute and I bet they were delicious too! I agree with you, Kate's white balsamic buttercream is awesome. I've tried it for the first time last weekend and it was not the last time for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%