Winnie The Pooh Cake. What Would You Charge?

Business By roxyscakes518 Updated 21 Apr 2019 , 6:48pm by SandraSmiley

roxyscakes518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxyscakes518 Posted 17 Apr 2019 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 11

A client requested this cake.  How much would you charge?  Bottom tier would be a 10".Winnie The Pooh Cake. What Would You Charge?

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2019 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 11

Would NOT charge at all as that is a copyright design   You AND customer could end up in jail for doing that   Sorry 

roxyscakes518 Posted 18 Apr 2019 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 11

Quote by @kakeladi on 1 day ago

Would NOT charge at all as that is a copyright design   You AND customer could end up in jail for doing that   Sorry 

Lol, have you seen how many people do character cakes on this site? Is this the response you give to every one of them?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2019 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 11

this is a sculpture on top of a tier cake with orbiting bees as well as artwork — if I did this cake for my family and they wanted to know how much i should be paid — it would be a lot — I would charge $325 plus the per serving price —

copyright infringement is a big deal — it’s like speeding — everybody does it but you can wind up with anything from a ticket to getting wiped out — and you can even get away with it — but not everybody gets away with it all the time —

like I could do a designer purse cake for my sister but it would be wrong for me to advertise it on my website (when I had one) and wrong for me to sell them —

taken to the extreme — the feds actually get involved in counterfeiting things like designer purses and stuff like that —

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2019 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 11

I would say $705

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 18 Apr 2019 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 11

How do you usually come to price your cakes? If I said 400 and someone else said 525, it doesn't do you any good. A lot of variables are different from person to person.

Personally, I would not take the cake for the sole reason of it being a copyrighted image. 

roxyscakes518 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 1:50am
post #7 of 11

Out of curiosity, who on this site has ran into copyright legal issues?

-K8memphis Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 2:34am
post #8 of 11

I have been denied permission to use a copyrighted item --

you need to understand that the people who currently post on this site are not representative of the thousands of people you see with all the pictures on here -- does not at all represent those who've been in trouble --

https://www.wickedgoodies.net/2017/02/cake-trademark-copyright-law/

https://support.disney.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001287303-How-can-I-report-piracy-or-copyright-infringement-

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 2:49am
post #9 of 11

It's not a matter of who has run into copyright issues. It's a matter of copying a trademark, not paying for usage, or getting permission to use the image. I did an OSU cake for my husband 2 years ago and it was hell getting permission to use the logo one time...for an unpaid cake. Will you be sent a cease and desist? Probably not. You asked what we would charge, and we told you, along with the reason why. We can't stop you from making the cake lol most people don't even know about copyright laws, and even if they do; they do what they want

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 3:04am
post #10 of 11

Must admit not me .... HOWEVER  I doknow off well known decorator who has posted on this site infrequently  Erlene More   She has an active website Iwww.Erelenemore.com I believe   If you contact I’m sure she would be happy to help you out 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 11

I agree with the opinions above.  The only copywritten designs I've ever done were for Icing Smiles and they were donated, no money involved.  In my market, I would charge $7 per serving for this cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%