Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mound On Top Of Cake

Decorating By ErinAshley18 Updated 1 week ago by kakeladi

ErinAshley18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinAshley18 Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 10:05am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I have someone who wants this...

I have never done chocolate covered strawberries on a cake before and I am worried about timing, whether I need to dip the day of event, bleeding on cake, strawberries weighing down cake, etc (and I have been reading previously posted tips about strawberries on cakes to try to get some help...)  but I am wondering if anyone has any additional awesome advice for working with chocolate covered strawberries on a cake, and also in particular I am wondering what approach people would take to making the big mound on the top here? THANKS!!!

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mound On Top Of Cake

5 replies
Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 1 week ago
post #2 of 6

If you look closely, there's something gold under the strawberry. I think it's a styrofoam half sphere. I would put dowels under the styrofoam to carry the wait of the strawberry tier, fixing them there with angle toothpick.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 week ago
post #3 of 6

She’s right —there is a sphere under/covered w/berries   Looks to me to be rice cereal treats but it could be gold covered   Follow her advice 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 week ago
post #4 of 6

point being once you stick in a toothpick -- it's gonna weep (pee) -- so maybe glue them together with icing or chocolate -- but must be dipped at the very last-est minute depending on how long they will be on display too --

one other thing -- there looks to be a foot on some of them where the choco pooled underneath -- I keep my berries cold  -- I wash then before using -- I roll them in towel lined pans to dry -- transferring them to new pans with dry towels as often as needed to dry them -- like three times probably -- then as I pick each one up to dip I roll it in another towel so no water gets in my choco -- as you dip keep an eye on the preceding berry -- if I notice the choco pooling all you have to do is pick it up and move it to a fresh space on the parchment --

best berrying to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 week ago
post #5 of 6

I mean we dipped berries right before delivery -- that's why they cost more -- and dip them up higher too -- I bunch up the leaves so they don't get chocolatized and dip all the way up to the shoulders --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 week ago
post #6 of 6

K8 said....... dip them up higher ,,,,,,,,,,,

I agree.  It looks to me that they were shallow dipped so there would be lots of red showing.    That certainly not much choco for a good tasting choco dipped berry! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%