Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mound On Top Of Cake

Decorating By ErinAshley18 Updated 14 Apr 2019 , 8:17pm by kakeladi

ErinAshley18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinAshley18 Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 10:05am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I have someone who wants this...

I have never done chocolate covered strawberries on a cake before and I am worried about timing, whether I need to dip the day of event, bleeding on cake, strawberries weighing down cake, etc (and I have been reading previously posted tips about strawberries on cakes to try to get some help...)  but I am wondering if anyone has any additional awesome advice for working with chocolate covered strawberries on a cake, and also in particular I am wondering what approach people would take to making the big mound on the top here? THANKS!!!

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mound On Top Of Cake

5 replies
Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 6

If you look closely, there's something gold under the strawberry. I think it's a styrofoam half sphere. I would put dowels under the styrofoam to carry the wait of the strawberry tier, fixing them there with angle toothpick.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 6

She’s right —there is a sphere under/covered w/berries   Looks to me to be rice cereal treats but it could be gold covered   Follow her advice 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 6

point being once you stick in a toothpick -- it's gonna weep (pee) -- so maybe glue them together with icing or chocolate -- but must be dipped at the very last-est minute depending on how long they will be on display too --

one other thing -- there looks to be a foot on some of them where the choco pooled underneath -- I keep my berries cold  -- I wash then before using -- I roll them in towel lined pans to dry -- transferring them to new pans with dry towels as often as needed to dry them -- like three times probably -- then as I pick each one up to dip I roll it in another towel so no water gets in my choco -- as you dip keep an eye on the preceding berry -- if I notice the choco pooling all you have to do is pick it up and move it to a fresh space on the parchment --

best berrying to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 6

I mean we dipped berries right before delivery -- that's why they cost more -- and dip them up higher too -- I bunch up the leaves so they don't get chocolatized and dip all the way up to the shoulders --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 6

K8 said....... dip them up higher ,,,,,,,,,,,

I agree.  It looks to me that they were shallow dipped so there would be lots of red showing.    That certainly not much choco for a good tasting choco dipped berry! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%