Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 3 days ago by -K8memphis

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 30

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Holy guacamole! What a week! I had two time consuming cakes back to back to start the week but thankfully they both turned out and I've the rest of the week to recover.

The first cake was for the mother in law of someone in my pottery class. She requested a purple watering can with magnolias and for the cake itelf she wanted some combo of chocolate and strawberry. I made a strawberry reduction which I added to my vanilla buttercream and then made chocolate cakes. The magnolias and leaves are wafer paper & the branches are wire ones that I purchased. (I used safety seal on all the wires so that they didn't come in to contact with the cake). The end of the spout was styrofaom to help make it more lightweight.

The second cake was to celebrate the last day of classes along with liquid nitrogen ice cream. Students submitted chemistry themed design ideas and I selected a winner to make in to a cake. The winning design (was revealed that day and) was titled "organic waste gone bad". It represents the waste containers they use in lab & the fact that they often end up a little messy and with multiple layers. A hidden chamber with dry ice allowed the organic waste to "fume". It was fun to do and the students loved it!

I hope you all had a great week and I look forward to seeing what you have all been up to ☺

Kelly

29 replies
kstevens Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 30

kstevens Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 30

kstevens Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 30

PS the organic waste label is smudged on purpose as that is how they end up in lab.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 30

Well done Kelly!  All cakes look fantastic!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 12:32am
post #6 of 30

wow muscle very very cool, kelly -- the dry ice takes it to the level beyond next level -- incredibleness!  

clap

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 12:47am
post #7 of 30

Both of those cakes are amazing. I really love the flowers in the watering can, reminds me that summer might just actually come some day.

angesradieux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angesradieux Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 1:53am
post #8 of 30

Those cakes are fantastic! I really love the organic waste gone bad one. It's so creative! I did a unicorn cake for a potluck at church. It was a little hastily done, because I woke up the morning of and had an "Oh shit! I didn't make anything!" moment. I usually try to at least have my dish started the day before. I would have really preferred to use modeling chocolate for the ears and horn but I didn't have time to buy any, and the last time I made it the kneading absolutely murdered my back and shoulders. Between that and it needing time to rest before I could use it, I decided the pulled sugar was the quicker, easier option.

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 2:56am
post #9 of 30

I'm super happy with how this cake turned out. This was my first time making roses with my own buttercream that I actually put on a cake. I had always been frustrated because the edges were never smooth so I quit trying. That was until I read a post on here about buttercream roses. Someone suggested opening the tip just a smidgen more with a knife and also someone said they tried to make their roses look jagged like that. I opened my tip a tad and just went with it. The technique on the side is super simple but looks beautiful. Thanks for all the people who give advice and encouragement on posts all the time, it makes a difference!Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19

angesradieux Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 3:01am
post #10 of 30

Your roses look great! And I love the leaves. What tip did you use?

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 30

I’m finally done! Bit off a bit more than I could chew...starting with a vegan cake with a ridiculous amount of flowers which are impossible to make...because vegan buttercream is my nemesis!!

Then, dark chocolate cake with a design to match five-year-old’s flower crown. 

Then, a joint birthday party where they wanted to combine the boys’ love of firefighters and dinosaurs.

Plus a gluten-free Dino smash cake.

I’m gonna go take a nap.

Kelly- you need to walk me through how you get all of this done. I’m a teacher too, and now after my third baby less than part-time and I still always feel like I’m not going to get it all done. How do you do it?!?!

Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 30

Kelly I always love your science themed cakes and this one is no exception. The magnolia one is beautiful.

@angesradieux love the unicorn. I could never throw a cake together that quickly.

@jessica32 I will have to remember the trick with the tip the next time I do roses. Yours look perfect and I love the sides simple and elegant.

@MerMadeBakedGoods amazing cakes. Glad you finished on time. My favorite is the flowers and hummingbirds.

i made a quick cake for my brother in law. Apparently, being the new guy at the fire station means bringing a cake. I would of loved to do some more advance but I may have broken my wrist. My mom did help with the baking.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:18am
post #13 of 30

@Marian64 - you Baked a cake with a potentially broken wrist??!?! That’s dedication right there :).

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 4:00am
post #14 of 30

@kstevens pour chemistry cake is super cool and your magnolia cake is simply gorgeous!

@angesradieux is the horn also made with pulled sugar? It looks amazing!

@Jessica32 lovely cake, I love all those colors together

@MerMadeBakedGoods wow, what a week! Great cakes, I love your chocolate cake with the contrasting colorful flowers. Very pretty!

@Marian64 you realy must love your brother in law to decorate a cake for him under those circonstances! I hope you recover soon. Take care.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 4:08am
post #15 of 30

One cake for me this week for my goddaughter 4th birthday. My first unicorn cake and I was in a hurry to make it. My rosettes and piping are horrible. Well, it is what it is and she was happy anyway! Mission accomplished.

Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19

angesradieux Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 4:11am
post #16 of 30

@Marian64 A cake on a broken wrist? You must be an amazing sister in law. If anyone in my family asked me for a cake with a wrist injury, I don't think I'd do it. It looks awesome, too

@MerMadeBakedGoods I love the hummingbird on your cake. What's it made out of? My mom really loves hummingbirds.

@Laetia The horn is also pulled sugar. I pulled a long piece and rolled it so it looked kind of like a log and wrapped it around a bamboo skewer. I made the I pressed the ears against it while all the pieces were still a bit warm so they stuck together, and the skewer from the horn held the whole thing in place. I painted the horn with edible art cake paint, and I used wilton gel color for the pink on the ears, and brushed the edges with a little white luster dust. And your unicorn cake is adorable! I love all the colors!

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 1 week ago
post #17 of 30

@laetia- I agree the colors on that cake are beautiful! 

@angesradiux-that hummingbird is black fondant painted with a bit of Roxy and Rich petal dust. I cut out a template but then I made some holes in it so that you could see the buttercream through it!

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 1 week ago
post #18 of 30

I made 60 of these cupcakes for a young man who is off to boot camp. 

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 1 week ago
post #19 of 30

@Laetia love the gold eyes made them stand out I think. 

@thecanadian180 great cupcakes.

I do think I have a great brother in law. I am also very stubborn. It wasn’t that hard to make toy firefighters and jolly ranchers melt for flames. No borders and I wasn’t concerned about it being smooth. I did have help pouring batter and taking cakes out of pans. It was a hit at the fire station. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 days ago
post #20 of 30

It must have been unicorn week because I had a unicorn cake due for a sweet girl's 4th birthday...

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 6 days ago
post #21 of 30

Great cakes everyone!  @Kstevens you are my inspiration.  @Freckles0829, love the colors on your unicorn.  This weekend I made a cake for my cousin's little girl, Piper.  The theme was Princess and the Frog.  The cake is a mock-up of Princess Tiana's dress.

kstevens Posted 6 days ago
post #22 of 30

Thanks @Gerle and @-K8memphis for the kind words. 

@the canadian160 no flowers here in Nova Scotia just yet other than all the wafer paper ones in my kitchen but I do have tulips popping through the ground so hopefully spring is just around the corner.  At least all the snow is finally gone!

@angesradieux great job on the isomalt horn and ears and putting a cake together so quickly!

@Jessica32 love the color palette on your cake and the roses are piping perfection!

@MerMadeBakedGoods that was a lot of cakes to get done!  I see why you need a nap!  So far as walking you through how to get it all done, I don't sleep a lot, or sit down much for that matter. lol   Seriously though, lists and planning generally gets me through.  I do as many of the details as I can in advance so that it's less work on the night I decorate. I always try to bake one night and assemble/decorate the next night.  When I make things like flowers I always make extra so I have some on hand for another time.  Also, I don't have any kids, just three dogs, so my time is pretty much my time.  If it makes you feel any better, I am actually a chemistry lab technician at a university and so unlike a teacher, I don't have school work to grade or classes to prep.  All of what I do is done during work hours.

@Marian64 how is your wrist?  You sound as stubborn (or is determined a better word?) as me with powering through and getting a cake made. Two thumbs up!!

@Laetia love your gold accents and the color scheme on your unicorn.

@thecanadian160 your cupcakes look great!  Are the toppers fondant or edible images?

@Freckles0829 pretty unicorn cake! Looks like it was definitely the week of the unicorn!

@moreCakePlz that cake is so pretty!  She must have loved it.

Great week everyone!  I have two cakes to get done for this week, a soccer game Thurs night and then I am hosting Easter dinner followed by another cake for Tues after Easter.  Never a dull moment.

-K8memphis Posted 6 days ago
post #23 of 30

moreCakePlz -- that is a stunner! love it!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 4 days ago
post #24 of 30

I've not been doing much decorating recently as life has got so full, but my parents were having a joint celebration for their 75th and 70th birthdays, so I made a cake for them.  A basic vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream and raspberry jam filling, as they requested.  I couldn't decide on how to cover it (fondant/buttercream/other techniques) but the decision was taken out of my hands by me falling and injuring my left wrist.  I couldn't wield a rolling pin and was too sore to do much fancy work.  Fortunately I'd mostly completed the flowers in advance and only needed to make the ivy and filler flowers.  Not in the photo, but I also made a plaque for the top with 145 on it - their combined age.  I used the funky letter cutters but it meant that some people read the 4 as 21, for some reason :-(Friday Night Cake Club For 05/12/19

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 4 days ago
post #25 of 30

I'm annoyed that I dropped one of the orange roses and chipped a petal.  Any wisdom on how to fix that if it happens again?

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 3 days ago
post #26 of 30

@LizzieAylett, beautiful cake.  I love the rustic look of the buttercream. 

-K8memphis Posted 3 days ago
post #27 of 30

lizzie-- brush color on the scarred edge and sometimes you can glue it back with a tad of water or hot glue  --  sorry about your wrist -- hope you're all better -- lovely lovely cake!

post #28 of 30

I love everyone's cakes

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 days ago
post #29 of 30

Lizzi you made lemonade out of lemons:) I really like how your cake turned out w/the rustic icing      I am continually amazed by all the wonderful work everyone’s doing  

post #30 of 30

I didn't write my post very clearly -- if you brush color on the break it is not as noticeable -- makes a difference -- add a leaf, position a berry right there --

then sometimes you can re-secure the broken piece with hot glue or something glue-y

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%