Ugh Frustrating..

Business By pastelgangster Updated 13 Apr 2019 , 2:18am by SandraSmiley

pastelgangster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastelgangster Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 4

So I’m a novice baker and I started a home bakery a few months back and I’m fairly decent at it. I have a steady flow of business for Birthday cakes, French Macarons and assortment of pastries. As of lately I’ve had competition with a lady that lives in my hometown county BUT she has a habit of stealing and posting cake photos from Instagram, Pinterest and even here at Cake Central. She doesn’t give credit to the original owners and does cakes for super low prices.  Needless to say I’ve lost cake orders because of her stolen photos. 

Has anyone else dealt with this? I really want to out her but my husband says it would look petty and bad for business.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 4

I think if not all of us at least most have had this problem   As much as it hurts you really have only two options — turn her into the health department or ignore her   It won’t take long before she burns out &/or realizes she is paying her customers to order from her—  In other words it is costing her instead of making her any $$   Just keep doing your very best putting out the best work possible 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 12 Apr 2019 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 4

I had a friend that was doing that same thing. He had posted a cake from Pinterest and it clearly had a watermark from the bakery across it. I had pinned that same cake lol so I asked him, on his Facebook where he posted it...he response was he made the same cake...down to the same exact flaws *head scratch*. He has quite a few from other places, but his work is nowhere near that caliber, and his customers find out on their own. Like Kakeladi said, she'll eventually burn out being the cheap cake lady, and if her work is not the same caliber as the photos she steals; she is setting herself up. Just continue to do what you're doing.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 2:18am
post #4 of 4

Exactly what the others have said.  If she could do quality work, she would not need to steal someone else's photos.  It will not take long for her customers to discover that she is a fraud.  Hang in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%