Buttercream Flavoring And Coloring Help!!!

Decorating By TheMrsWalker1 Updated 14 Apr 2019 , 12:57am by jchuck

TheMrsWalker1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheMrsWalker1 Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake that is going to have two tiers, one with red buttercream, and the other with blue buttercream, What flavors can I make those buttercreams, I know I can do vanilla, but what are some other options for those colors. I am going to make a vanilla cake for both. Any suggestions are helpful. 

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

............. What flavors can I make those buttercreams, I know I can do vanilla, but what are some other options for those colors............

Well you can add UNsweetened KoolAid to each - black cherry OR strawberry - actually any flavored red color - to the red and any blue KoolAid to the blue.  It's been yrs since I have done it so I don't remember which flavors are blue color :)   I usually added about a teaspoon of the KoolAid to a batch of b'cream that covers an 8" or 10"x4" cake tier.    You need to make up the b'cream the day before.  Since red is such a hard color to come up with, I suggest you tint your b'cream a nice deep pink or yellow, then add some red and the KoolAid.  Remember colors darken over time so be careful adding the red &  let it sit overnight.  I usually put it in the frig but it's not necessary (depending on the recipe for b'cream you are using),  then in the a.m. you will think I'm nuts as it probably will have lots of dark spots, but never fear, just give it a good stir and those will dissapear :)   For blue b'cream, it depends on what shade of blue you want - tint it a nice light blue.  If you need a dark (almost black) navy tint the icing very rich true blue before adding the KoolAid then let it sit overnight. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 5

Brilliant idea to use KoolAid as a flavoring and coloring agent, kakeladi!  That should be a big help to achieve bold colors.

You can use any flavor that stikes your fancy to couple with vanilla cake.  It is like a blank canvas.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 5

Sandra I’ve done that for years   Don’ t remember now where the idea came from   It doesn’t take much  —  just maybe a 1/2tsp for a cup of icing—I seldom measured just tap some in :)  

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:57am
post #5 of 5

I made a strawberry cake and I needed a strong strawberry flavoured and red buttercream. I used jello powder. Gave a great flavour and augmented the pink coloured buttercream making a pretty red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%