Looking For A Good Basic Cake Recipe

Baking By mrmajeika Updated 11 Apr 2019 , 7:27pm by kakeladi

mrmajeika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrmajeika Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 8:17am
post #1 of 9

I'm making a birthday cake and I need a good vanilla cake recipe. I have a good Victoria sandwich recipe but worried it's a bit delicate as part of it needs to be carved. Any suggestions? Probably just gonna ice it with jam and buttercream

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 9

Since you’re not in the US I’m not sure if you can use it or not but you could try the *original* WASC recipe available on this site   Sounds like it would be perfect for you   

mrmajeika Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 9

Just had a look. I can get all those ingredients although the cake mix is probably different. Just to confirm you add flour to the cake mix? Doesn't the cake mix already have flour in or is it because you are adding extra sour cream? Would I have to increase the quantity to make 1 X 9 inch and 1 X 8 inch round cake?

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 9

Yes you do add all-purpose flour & sugar to the cake mix:)   It makes a larger batch of batter    Not sure if you are saying your pans are 1” deep or meaning one pan   How deep are the pans?   One recipe of the WASC will be enough for one 9”x2” round pan & a few cupcakes but not enough for an 8”x2” round along with it   

mrmajeika Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 9

Oh yeah sorry that wasn't clear. I need it to fill two pans. One 9 inch pan and one 8 inch pan. They are both around 2.5 inches deep. Any advice?

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 9

You can turn Victoria sponge into Madeira by increasing the flour. So equal weight of eggs, sugar and butter then 1.5 times weight of flour. 

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 9

One recipe of the WASC will be enough for one 9”x2” round pan & a few cupcakes but not enough for an 8”x2” round along with it  .  I suggest using 2 cake mixes but follow the rest of the ingredients as listed.  I have done that ofter.   That would be enough for both of your pans and maybe a few cupcakes.   Again, I'm not sure exactly how large your cake mixes are or how much you usually get from one.  For me, one cake mix totally NOT changed - just made as it comes out of the box - is enough to full one 9" OR 10"x2 pan - hope tht helps you understand.  I know it's hard to know/understand  without seeing things - at least for me it is.   

mrmajeika Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 9

The size of Betty crocker vanilla cake mix is 425g. 9oz. I have never used the cake mixes before so don't know how much one box makes. The package says makes 24 cupcakes

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2019 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 9

That's a bit smaller than ours :(  I would probably double the recipe completely for the size pans you want to use. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%