Local Photographer & "smash" Cakes

Business By sweetooth94 Updated 9 Apr 2019 , 9:14pm by kakeladi

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 15

HELP!  I do "smash" cakes for two local photographer's for all of their 1st birthday sessions.  The one photographer is terrible at punctuality and I'm bothered by it!  She will order a cake and doesn't show up when she says she will!  I'll message her hours after her pick-up time and ask if she still needs it because it's done.  She always has an excuse - "The baby fell asleep, I'll be over as soon as he wakes up" --  "I was getting it after work but drove by your road and forgot to stop" --  "It's taking me longer at the grocery store than I thought, I'll be there shortly" -- "Oh, the mom rescheduled because the baby is sick.  We are doing the session next week but I forgot to tell you.  I'll grab it tomorrow and freeze it" - -etc.  I've even squeezed in last minute "smash cakes" for her and still had to call her because it was hours past (or the next day) when she said she was getting it!  I'm very punctual and this is a pet peeve with me and it's really bothering me.  Every time it happens it makes me a bit more upset.  {{SHE ALWAYS PAYS!!  So no problem with being paid for my work. }} I feel like a nagging MOM - calling, messaging and reminding her she has cakes to pick up!!  How would you handle this?  I don't want to upset her - her work is beautiful and I get a lot of business from her.  A lot of the parents fall in love with the cake I did for the smash session and end up using me as their baker (for all their family orders).  So I get great exposure doing "smash cakes" for her.  PS- The second photographer is ALWAYS on time & gives me several weeks notice when she needs a cake!  

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 15

why not just tell her you're gonna freeze it at such & such a time -- if you have freezer space -- but she might start forgetting even worse -- idk

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 15

but since she always pays -- why don't you set up the time for her to get it -- advise her in advance that from now on  you will give her a two or three hour window for pick up then freeze it -- she will then have to contact you to pick it up at a later time and you cannot guarantee that you will be home --  also she is not going to change so you have the option to change your expectation -- just get over it --  because she is good for you --  or stop doing business w/her -- lots of people are like that -- 

sweetooth94 Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 15

-K8memphis - I have a commercial bakery on my property but not attached to my home.  The bakery has two full size refrigerators (fridge only), so when/if I need to freeze anything I run them into my house basement deep-freezer.  I could do that.  I have had to freeze cakes for her before - because her sessions got moved to the next week but her cake was finished.  *sigh*  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 1:06am
post #5 of 15

Much as K8 said either get over it or frez all her orders or  just let them sit out at rn temp   It does sound like she isn’t going to get better:(     It is frustrating I know but by making up mind to NOT let upset you you will be happier 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 15

Ugh, that sucks. I don't know what to tell you now that you're in this relationship for a while. Personally, I would end the relationship, telling her I was too busy to do them anymore. If you need the income, I guess you have to deal with it. I don't know.....

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 15

This Is definitely most annoying. Obviously she very disorganized. Surprising, as if you’re in business like photography, you cannot do that to your customers, or you won’t be in business long. For now, like a few have said , I’d freeze the cakes. But might I suggest..  #1 Next time you interact with this  photographer...ask her..”Do you ever have no shows for your photo shoots?”  or  “Have customers come very late to a photo shoot?” “Have customers constantly reschedule photo shoots?” Hopefully the answer is yes to some of these question. Then ask her, “How did that make you feel?”  More than likely she will say, annoyed, ticked off, angry, etc. Then you can respond by saying, well that’s exactly how I feel when you do the same to me with my smash cakes. Sometimes when we put the situation back in there lap, it gives another perspective. Makes people understand more. It’s called “word pictures”, and I’ve used this successfully many times.  

#2 If you don’t want to do the above, then make an actual coffee date and tell her plainly how you feel. Explain to her you may have to stop using her because you’re time is just as valuable as hers, and she obviously does not respect that. 

Either way how you choose to tackle this, I would suggest talking to photographer #2 who is punctual and pays on time. Ask her if she knows any other photographers who also need smash cakes. If you manage to procure another photographer, and the unorganized, tardy photographer doesn’t change her ways, cut her loose.  

sweetooth94 Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 15

kakaladi - I've been working with her for several years... I agree, I don't think she'll get better either!  It's just starting to really get on my nerves more and more :-)  UGH!!! 

sweetooth94 Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 15

inthekitchen2 - I REALLY, REALLY WANT TO tell her I can't bake for her anymore, but we've been working together for 3-4 years now.  I guess I'm getting petty and crabby as the years go by.  I so, so, so, so want to tell her to find another baker because she's so unorganized but I can't (my husband thinks I should).  That's just not my personality.   {{She also has me booked for her wedding cake in 2020 (yeah.... I know, I know...)!}}  

sweetooth94 Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 15

@jchuck - so funny you say that!  My husband and I talk about that all the time.  We often wonder if she "forgets" about customer appointments or gets the wrong day/time with them?!?! I honestly haven't heard from anyone that this happens with her business sessions but she seems utterly disorganized to me!  Also, photographer #1 (the 'late' one) referred photographer #2 (the  on-time' one) to my business :-).  She used another baker and wasn't happy and the first photographer told her to give me a call.  I'm just in a pickle here... although I'm getting ticked off enough that I may have to sit down and discuss this with her very soon.  She knows I do this all by myself (no baking helpers).  I may have to tell her what @k8memphis said - that it's going in my freezer if it's not picked up in a certain time window (this will be an inconvenience to her because my freezer is in my house so she can't just pop in and grab it from my bakery fridge if I'm not here {we've set it up this way before} and sometimes she picks it up RIGHT before her session.... can't serve a frozen cake to a baby!)

kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 7:57pm
post #11 of 15

Yes what jchuck said........YES sit her down and tell her how the cow ate the cabbage!  Grow yourself a backbone.  She is doing this to you because you are letting her do it!! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 15

Ooooo...kakeladi thems tough words!! But, you are correct. WE TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO TREAT US!!!  If we tolerate bad behaviour, things don’t change. But, saying that, honestly and truly, some people just don’t get it. I always try the explaining/ word pictures approach first. Then if that doesn’t help, then sorry, it’s hardball. I’m one that believes in touch love. Definitely worked on my now grown children. If this photographer comes late, or not at all, then maybe she don’t get no cake!!   If she has to reschedule a photo shoot because she doesn’t have a cake, then she might really understand the many inconveniences she’s caused you. 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 8:14pm
post #13 of 15

repeat business like this typically yields more income than a one of tier cake -- to me it's part of the cost of doing business -- just depends if you are in it for the money -- 

me -- I would not take her to task -- she's a grown woman -- I ain't her psychologist --  like I said -- I would tell her when to pick it up -- then after that it's going in the freezer and I might not be around to get it out for you when you need it -- done -- and start taking payments in advance 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 8:15pm
post #14 of 15

I would do that ^^^ because I want to make money with cakes

kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 15

Yes I know I was harsh but it was said with love :)    I think it's time to get tough with her - both the photographer and the baker :)  Take her out for lunch or coffee and use some of the ?s jchuck said.  Let her know it bothers you and may jeperdise their relationship. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%