Costing Supplies

Business By KatyN Updated 9 Apr 2019 , 2:34am by cakefan92

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 6 Apr 2019 , 3:30am
post #1 of 6

So how do you calculate for supplies?

If I’ve bought something special, like a mold or stencil, I’ll charge for that, but what about items that eventually will be used for other things (pearl dust etc.)?

Thanks

5 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 7 Apr 2019 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 6

I generally add a "Misc Supplies" fee that covers small items like dusts, flavors, colors, paper towels, cake boards, etc.  Some of these things are just too difficult to divvy up into "servings".  And you might use more of something one time and none of it the next.  This way it all works out.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 Apr 2019 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6

Oh lord I wish I had read this 2 hours ago. I just spent $25 on special gold cake boards and I had already sent the invoice :(.

Does anyone else ask what miscellaneous supplies are? Or are they pretty accepting of your coats?

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 Apr 2019 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 6

Accepting of your COSTS..although I’m sure your outerwear is also lovely. :)

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 8 Apr 2019 , 6:11am
post #5 of 6

My bride was pretty easygoing.  I told her the cost/slice up front and gave her an approximate window of the total cost, but was sure to tell her that anything special would have an additional charge.  She understood

She wanted a design that resembled the lace on her wedding dress, and I had to order a special stencil and mold for that, so that cost will be added on.

I also had to order things like multiple luster dusts, and a palette of petal dust, well over $30 altogether.  I'm just wondering how to prorate it, since I didn't use all of the product up on her cake, but had to put out all that money at the outset.

I'd just send them a revised invoice, let them know you neglected to add on a charge.  The foil boards add up!

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 2:34am
post #6 of 6

I've had a few ask what the "Misc" includes and I'm up front with them and tell them it's for the 14 paper towels I use to clean up, the flavoring and colors for their 15-color rainbow cake, the sprinkles, boards and box(es) and whatever else I use a little of and don't want to charge them for the whole thing. They're usually fine with it, especially when I get to the part about not charging them for a whole bottle of that special flavoring or an entire pack of boards. But I make sure the fee is enough to cover all the little incidentals. And thank you - I'm rather happy with my outerwear. : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%