Why Did I Say Yes To This?

Decorating By thecanadian160 Updated 3 Apr 2019 , 3:39pm by inthekitchen2

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 1 Apr 2019 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to make this Fortnight cake. I'm having a bit of regret with this on though. For the life of me, I cant seem to figure out how they made that balloon on that battle bus so clean. Also, any thoughts on the font for the banner in the trees? And lastly, I know that those trees are BC but for fondant work? I know kstevens did such wonderful job on her camping cake maybe she would be gracious enough with a few pointers...? Why Did I Say Yes To This?

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2019 , 12:08am
post #2 of 10

I ‘ve never done that but have seen enough of this on tv shows   You make an egg shape w/rice cereal or make cake pops covered in fondant on a sucker stick   I’ Guessing the fonts are “tapits”

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Apr 2019 , 2:21am
post #3 of 10

The trees I would use ice cream waffle cones and royal icing with a leaf tip. 

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2019 , 3:52am
post #4 of 10

Waffle cones are bigger than I like unless it’s a big cake   I would use standard size cones & b’cream:)   You can use leaf tips or “grass” tip or others that I can’t think of the # now   

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Apr 2019 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 10

I’m guessing like kakeladi posted the ballon is either rct’s or carved styrofoam. 

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 3 Apr 2019 , 12:54am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the pointers! I ordered a the tappits mold that looks similar. I think I'm going to try to make the balloon out of RCT and maybe try covering it in royal icing to smooth it out? That thing looks almost egg shaped though. With all the Easter stuff out right now I might just try to find one of those plastic eggs that is large enough to use as a mold. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2019 , 1:40am
post #7 of 10

you could also cover it with royal icing and sand it smooth

kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2019 , 1:59am
post #8 of 10

My understanding is that you crush the  RCT  to make it smoother before shaping it or you could sand it  Yes it is egg shape so  Use a plastic egg to mold it 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 3 Apr 2019 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 10

I plastic Easter egg seems like a good idea. Nice and light. As for using royal icing, you could, but I’ve always used modeling chocolate. SOooooo much easier to smooth before you apply your fondant. 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 3 Apr 2019 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 10

I've made those exact trees by covering waffle cones with modeling chocolate and taking a pair of scissors with the blades held upwards and cutting around. Worked perfectly. For the balloon, I don't see why you can't just use a plastic egg covered in modeling chocolate or fondant. That way the egg is lighter than rkt and won't weigh anything down. I'd just tell them it's a plastic egg in there. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%