Has Anyone Used Silicone Piping Bags?

Decorating By srass Updated 4 Apr 2019 , 6:53pm by -K8memphis

srass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srass Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 41

I just read an article that mentioned silicone piping bags and thought 'what a great idea!!'    Has anyone tried them?

40 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 41

Yes, I have several. Takes some getting use to because bag is a bit thicker than a regular plastic piping bag. But I like the fact I can wash and reuse. So much better for the environment.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 41

I have a funny story about when plastic piping bags first came out -- back when people left scraps out for the neighborhood dinosaurs -- my boss gave me a brand new plastic piping bag -- I filled it up and squeezed while it quickly developed what looked like a cancerous tumor burgeoning out sideways as fast as I squeezed it -- rahr muscle  I am woman see me pipe -- hahahaha --

so I haven't tried silicone but yeah sounds too thick to me --

a lot of places re-wash the plastic ones too -- although over time they strengthened them too blush

(I still prefer parchment)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 41

I have one giant size silicone bag and I love it.  I only use it for things like cupcakes which require a lot of frosting,  All of my other bags are the Wilton reusable bags.  I've never used the disposables and I cannot for the freakin' life of me make one from parchment!

jchuck Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 41

I too also have many washable Wilton bags Sandra. Some are probably 15 years old. I’ve never used plastic piping bags with exception of a class where they were provided already filled. Sandra many, many moons ago, I use to be able to whip together parchment piping bags, all sizes lickity split. Now, like you, for the life of me, I CANNOT do it anymore. I have watched YouTube videos coming out the wazoo, nope, still can’t do it. I’m a hands on girl for something like this. I gots to see it done in front of me, then follow step by step.   

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 1:10am
post #6 of 41

June, a couple of my Wilton bags are about 40 years old, but I do have some that are just a few years old.  All of the writing has worn off the old ones, but they still work just fine.  Of course I am challenged when it comes to anything piping, so they haven't been used as much as one might suppose.  I make those stupid parchment bags and they look perfect, pop on the paper clip, trim the tip, start to fill and they fall apart!  Have you ever seen Sedar Yenner make them from acetate?  He cuts it the same as making a parchment bag and just dampens the edge with water to hold it in place.  Blows my mind!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 1:16am
post #7 of 41

we'll all get together one of these days, sandra, june and I and i'll walk y'all though it -- piece of cake 

I once had a job interview at a family owned cookie store where the chick, the daughter, thought clear plastic piping bags were called parchment -- we had an awkward few moments there -- oops -- they also scooped their cookies by hand -- omg -- and they tossed all their day old cookies -- weird -- wonder why I din get the gig hahahaha

jchuck Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 1:16am
post #8 of 41

No, have never seen Sedar use acetate. 

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 1:19am
post #9 of 41

-K8memphis, it sounds to me like you dodged a bullet by not getting the job!

June, he has a free tutorial on how to make them.  I think he also show how on one of his chocolate writing tutorials, also free.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 1:21am
post #10 of 41

sandra, try a piece of tape -- I just make the bag and flatten it if I don't immediately fill it -- the icing will hold it together -- no need to trim that excess off unless you want to --

post #11 of 41

the tape should be on the outside

post #12 of 41

not over the top

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 1:46am
post #13 of 41

I LOVE silicone piping bags! I have several, my favorite is the light blue Pampered Chef bag (check out the link), it is thicker but I think it works marvelous! The other brands are much thinner than the Pampered Chef but still pretty nice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXKNLDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLO480U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 3:44am
post #14 of 41

Hey!!  Why am I not invited to that gathering?:(    I’ m w/K8  can whip those  parchment bags together bang,bang,bang :)   

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 10:58am
post #15 of 41

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 11:05am
post #16 of 41

lynne, come on down -- the more the merrier -- if we all from Canada & California & Tennessee got together -- that'd really be something -- all y'all are invited -- just no other details ...yet... hahahahahaha blush

jchuck Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 11:57am
post #17 of 41

I’ll come down to Tennessee Kate...it’s still freeeeeeeezing here in Canada...o:(

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 2:15pm
post #18 of 41

currently it's 65 f, 18c at 9am -- come in july/august for some genuine certified breath taking heat/humidity !! hahahaha

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 2:50pm
post #19 of 41

Wouldn't that be a party!  We would have a ball!

Kate, I am embarrassed to say, I've tried the tape, but had trouble getting it to stick to the parchment paper.  I am telling you, I am hopeless when it comes to piping!

jchuck Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 2:58pm
post #20 of 41

Sandra I got taught to staple my parchment paper cones

jchuck Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 2:58pm
post #21 of 41

Sandra I got taught to staple my parchment paper cones

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 4:05pm
post #22 of 41

Maybe that will work.  I'll try stapling next time.

jchuck Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 4:37pm
post #23 of 41

And Kate it gets sooo hot in June/July/August 85-95 and high humidity!!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 6:00pm
post #24 of 41

guys -- please reconsider the staples and paper clips for your piping bags -- that could be a potential choking hazard -- use plastic blush or silicone --

june it is often dripping here in may through october -- ten degrees higher -- last summer was mild as I recall -- we used to have a big golf match here and I always wondered why the pros came -- so dang relentlessly miserable in MAY -- but not last year -- 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 30 Mar 2019 , 10:44pm
post #25 of 41

Spam bump!

thanks for all the suggestions, ladies. I have my grandmothers Wilton reusable bags from the 1950’s....but sometimes I use plastic because im LAZY. I’ll definitely check into those silicone ones.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 12:33am
post #26 of 41

I agree with MerMade   I have seen the effects of a staple gone astray:(   I also had been taught to staple bags until the incident NEVER again!  

jchuck Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 1:02am
post #27 of 41

Oh K8memphis/Kate I see the rest of my remarks never got posted!! :o( I got taught to use staples by a old time decorator, whom I’m actually the age of now when she taught me. We only used staples in her class. At home, I used nothing. I could fold so well, I didn’t need anything. Now I would use clear hockey tape. Best stuff ever. Sticks like glue, and is waterproof!! 

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 1:14am
post #28 of 41

june -- yeah cool! +1

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 2:53am
post #29 of 41

OK, no staples.  At least I have my Wilton bags, but I would love to be able to make tiny little parchment bags for detail work.

jchuck Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 12:06pm
post #30 of 41

Me too Sandra!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%