My First Wedding Cake

Baking By MsRose Updated 29 Mar 2019 , 11:48pm by jchuck

MsRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRose Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 3:43am
post #1 of 13

I made this 4 tier scratch cake for our son's wedding that took place this past weekend.  First tiered cake and the first time I ever used dowels other than the 'practice' cake I did a few weeks prior to the wedding.   From bottom to top: Strawberry cake with lemon curd moose buttercream filling - Lemon cake with blueberry filling - Creme bouquet cake with french vanilla buttercream filling and Southern Caramel Cake with a Dulce de letch buttercream filling.

I boxed the tiers individually as they had to be transported 7 hours by car. It's normally an 8-hour trip but we only stopped when nature called. My hubby built a flat hardwood platform for the back seat to keep cakes level at all times.  We drove two hours to find dry ice which we wrapped in strong plastic bags and placed them in between but on the outside of all the cake boxes.  The cakes stayed 'refrigerated for the entire trip.

I stacked and finished off the cake at the venue.  The wedding guests literally stood in a long queue for this cake and some went back for seconds and thirds.  Word out was that the cake tasted absolutely amazing.  Though the cake does not look perfect by any means, I am super proud of myself.  You couldn't take the grin off my face!!  I truly have a new-found respect for professional cake makers who bake from scratch.  It is hard work!!!!  A huge thanks to SandraSmiley who gave me so many tips and tricks.

My First Wedding Cake

12 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 4:06am
post #2 of 13

Congrats! You did yourself proud!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 5:25am
post #3 of 13

My,my,My did you ace this!!   Wonderful   You had every right to that grin              Are you ready to launch your new career?   In 1980 I started my baking journey by making my daughter’s wedding cake & w/in 3 days I was asked to make another, then 3 weeks  later another & I was off & running:)   Didn’t look back until I was forced into retirement:(   

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 13

Absolutely gorgeous!  You have every right to be proud!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 13

you knocked it out of the park -- it's lovely lovely -- and you really got the phd in caking with the long distance delivery and all -- gorgeous Four tier! sweet cascade -- all the bells & whistles -- haute couture multi-flavored -- dang you did good! mazel tov

clapmuscleclap

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 13

Wow, you have all right to be proud. Your cake is absolutely beautiful and your roses cascade is so gorgeous. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 13

MsRose, I can't stop grinning either!  I am so proud of you!  WOW! WOW! WOW!  This would be a triumph if it was set up at the church next door, but after a seven hour trip!  Kadoos to you and hubby!  By the way, it IS perfect in every way and it sounds delicious!  Best first ever!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 13

BTW: are those silk or fresh flowers?  I enlarged the pic and they look silk.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 26 Mar 2019 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 13

Beautiful job!  And what a fantastic Cake Hubby!  

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 2:10am
post #10 of 13

That looks absolutely amazing! You did a wonderful job! I'm curious about the flowers also, are they fresh?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 13

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 13

Terrific ! Great job! Congrats on the cake -thanks so much for sharing!

Theresa

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 13

Beautiful...Beautiful cake!! You should be very proud!!! Very smart move setting up at the venue. Kudos to your husband for making a traveling platform.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%