Painted Ombré/watercolour Fondant Cake

Decorating By louglou Updated 25 Mar 2019 , 4:29pm by SandraSmiley

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 6

What would be the best way to achieve a ombré or watercolour effect on fondant without an airbrush? Similar to these:

Painted Ombré/watercolour Fondant CakePainted Ombré/watercolour Fondant Cake

I’ve done a sunset effect before by painting with gel colour mixed with vodka. Would dry petal dust work? Or petal dust mixed with alcohol? 

Thanks

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 6

what I would do is get my cake cold because I know just how much condensation will come up on it when I take it out and I would brush on dry powder -- although the second picture looks like buttercream

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 6

I know you were just giving examples

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 6

I think the first picture could be achieved by dry brushing powdered colors, as -K8memphis suggested.  Personally, I would do it before refrigerating so the fondant would be dry, maybe even let the cake set at room temp for an hour to allow the surface of the fondant to skim over a little.  Wilton makes spray cans of edible color that you could use to get the artbrushed effect.  I've used them and they work well, but do not go very far.

The second one definitely looks like buttercream and is beautiful.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 6

I’m a bit confused about your comments on refrigerating. Do I need a bit of moisture to get dry powder to stick? I assumed too much moisture would cause problems. 

The second cake is beautiful and is definitely buttercream but I might have a go at recreating something similar on fondant. I don’t know if I can get neon colours in the uk. 

My intention is to use these as a background to some silhouettes (of a horse jumping and some fences). I wonder if it will be too busy. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Mar 2019 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 6

You do not need moisture for the powder to adhere to the fondant.  It will be hard to keep it from streaking and blobbing if the fondant is moist.  I will like it dry and even dryed out a bit on the surface.

I think it would be a beautiful background for a jumping horse sithouette.  Depending upon the time of day for which you are shooting, the bottom could be a dark green and browns, grading upward with lighter green, then turning to blue for the sky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%