Price For Private Lessons?

Business By kakeladi Updated 19 Mar 2019 , 1:29am by MBalaska

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2019 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 24

Thinking about offering lessons   Would go to them   Is $25 for 1 or 2hrs too low?    

23 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 2:22am
post #2 of 24

I guess it depends upon what you are planning to teach, Lynne and if you are providing the supplies.  No matter what you are teaching, if you are providing the supplies necessary, you probably should charge more.  For beginner classes, $25 (without supplies) might be a good price, but piping classes and such should be considerably more, I would think.  I know I would be happy to pay at least $50.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 4:18am
post #3 of 24

and travel time/ distance?  When I taught, lesson prep, materials set up AND travel time was a factor. It was more for "fun" than profit. It depends on your motivation. 

kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 5:25am
post #4 of 24

I did this once before —started out w/7 and by lesson 4started loosing them 2 a week:(   This time it will be pay for 6 up front   I figured I’d offer b’cream/piping as that’s what I do best then touch on fondant   For more detailed fondant it would be another 4 or 6 wk class   I will not supply equipment as I don’t have any left:(   That would be lesson 1   

kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 5:27am
post #5 of 24

Any ideas where/how to advertise?  

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 24

Do you have a local cake supply store?  You might even want to coordinate with them - let the provide the supplies and the location and you teach the class, you split the profit.  We have a large cake supply store and they've ask me to teach, but I don't know how (and I think I may be too lazy, lol).

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 24

Can't help on the advertising but our Hobby Lobby stores offer the classroom for free, sell the classes and give you 100% of the money. Kids classes seem to do better, as far as interest. I also believe Girl Scouts have a badge for it, so those groups may be happy to pay you to do it. 

kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 24

Thanks Sandra for reminding me of that possibility   I taught Wilton at Michael’s for like 10+ years but I don’t want to have to go through their stupid hoops to retrain again   I might approach a cake bakery as there are NO shops in this area   The closest one is about 50 miles south   I could clean  w/them but that’s a long drive— done it many times  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 24

honestly I don't think it's worth your effort this way because I don't think you'll make any money -- y'know how bronwen did her classes? a one day class -- start to finish -- focused on one elaborate cake -- I would advertise a beautiful tier cake with whatever trimmings you want to teach and you could do a few variations like one design on the front and one design on the back and charge for the class that includes materials -- that would work better i think --

-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 24

but you could make it so people could bring their own supplies too -- give them the list in advance or just come to watch

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 24

I tend to agree with -K8memphis, you would probably get a lot more people signing up for a one or two day class.  I've had a lot of people asking me to teach and they are interested in a specialty piece done in a one or two day class, like a chocolate bust.  Unfortunately for me, I cannot not travel because I have so many fur babies.  Not sure that I could teach anyway.

kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 24

Thanks for reminding me about HH -- I didn't know they 'rent' out their classroom for free.  I'll go talk to them.  Guess I should work up some classes 1st.  I'm not good w/kids - tried that at Michaels.   It's been over 10 yrs since I did any teaching.  I just love this sweet work so much and miss it more than words can say.  Looks like I'm not going to be able to return to the work I was doing since the accident :(   It's been 7 months and I'm still in pain and the dr basically say I'll have to learn to live with it.  As you can probably tell I'm not a happy camper.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 24

some doctors SUCK

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 24

I agree with -k8memphis, lots of doctors suck!  You should definitely get a second opinion.

kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2019 , 4:26am
post #15 of 24

I’m limited to just one place   There are some 20 drs but they all access the same info on me so I’m not really able to get a true 2nd opinion:(   That’s workers Comp for you   Anything to get out of helping 

kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2019 , 4:31am
post #16 of 24

Back on subject — I found out there is a supply store in town   It’s on the other side of town but very well stocked & they offer classes   Have to contact owners to see if they might be interested in letting me be one of their teachers   There was a small class going on when I was there 

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Mar 2019 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 24

Fantastic, good luck Lynne!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2019 , 7:41pm
post #18 of 24

this!! yes -- I like this much better for you!!! wonderful!!! and i'm really sorry about your aches & pains -- yeah -- wc docs are typically rigid idiots -- that's been my experience anyhow -- to me they are agenda driven and no es Bueno --

hope you can get some good traction w/this and something jingling in your pocket too -- this ain't fifty miles away is it??

Quote by @kakeladi on 15 hours ago

Back on subject — I found out there is a supply store in town   It’s on the other side of town but very well stocked & they offer classes   Have to contact owners to see if they might be interested in letting me be one of their teachers   There was a small class going on when I was there 

kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2019 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 24

No - not 50 just 5 miles across town :)   Haven't gotten around to e-mailing the owners yet....will later today - just have to think of the best way to word it.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2019 , 8:53pm
post #20 of 24

+1

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Mar 2019 , 12:02am
post #21 of 24

I think it might be more affective if you went there and talked to her face to face, if possible.  Maybe take pictures of some of your cakes and the techniques you would like to offer.

kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2019 , 12:32am
post #22 of 24

I was told to email them by the employees 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Mar 2019 , 12:35am
post #23 of 24

Oh.  I guess that is the place to start then.  It still wouldn't hurt to check out the place.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Mar 2019 , 1:29am
post #24 of 24

Quote by @kakeladi on 4 days ago

Thinking about offering lessons   Would go to them   Is $25 for 1 or 2hrs too low?    

YES YES YES

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%