Underdone Center-Large Sheet Cake

Baking By DonnaLT Updated 6 days ago by SandraSmiley

DonnaLT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DonnaLT Posted 6 days ago
post #1 of 6

Trying to make a birthday cake for our Bible study group.  Bought a large cake pan (12 x 15).  Doubled the recipe, cooked according to directions.  I didn't rely solely on the time given, but checked with a toothpick a couple of times.  Tried twice; both times the cake wasn't done in the middle when the outside was.   Once was using boxed cake mix (2) and one from scratch.  I sooo want this to work.  Any advice?

5 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 6 days ago
post #2 of 6

Yes, I use baking nails. I would use 2 for that size to help cook the middle. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 days ago
post #3 of 6

I start my cakes at 350 degrees f because that is how the baking powder is designed to work best -- and when the cake gets to that point were it's not done in the middle all you have to do is add a loose foil tent over the cake -- crease the foil down the middle and set it on top -- and turn the temp down 25 degrees -- then wait 10 mins or so --  turn it down another 25 degrees if necessary and just wait it out -- leave the foil on after you remove it from the oven -- should be fine

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 days ago
post #4 of 6

We all have different ways   I found baking at 300 degrees for a longer time works best for me   It results in a moist cake   That size should take about 1 hr   Using flower nails will help but I have baked 100s w/o them   Maybe your oven isn’t right on temp or maybe you should lower the rack   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 days ago
post #5 of 6

and if you have a cake that gets real brown on the edges -- slice those off as soon as possible so the rest of the cake's moisture doesn't get squandered in those brown edges -- to preserve the moisture in the rest of the cake -- you can also use some simple syrup splash in the cake too -- does best after freezing it -- the moisture levels disperse throughout there and it's better --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 days ago
post #6 of 6

I use baking nails in all of my cakes larger than 8". For a sheet cake that size, I would use four nails and I would also back long and low.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%