New To Gumpaste How To Hide The Styrofoam Ball Take 2

Decorating By Barb905 Updated 15 Mar 2019 , 4:09pm by cakefan92

Barb905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb905 Posted 14 Mar 2019 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 6

New To Gumpaste How To Hide The Styrofoam Ball Take 2Hello CC

After getting some great advice on my 1st post ever, here is the take 2 redo. And yes this is my second cake topper attempt. I just took up gumpaste flowers this winter and love it!

In using a 3"  cut in half Styrofoam ball and an still having a hard time hiding all of the actual ball, despite adding  more flowers. Am I using too many?? Should I be using toothpicks instead of wired flowers? In using needle nose pliers to place them in..Is this the way it's done? It's soo delicate and wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

Is there a standard size 1/2 ball to use for a 6" cake??

Any advice would be appreciated, Thankyou and enjoy your day.

And yes I'm struggling on making the roses look realistic. Any hints would be welcomed as well.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2019 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 6

Quote by @Barb905 on 9 minutes ago

New To Gumpaste How To Hide The Styrofoam Ball Take 2Hello CC

After getting some great advice on my 1st post ever, here is the take 2 redo. And yes this is my second cake topper attempt. I just took up gumpaste flowers this winter and love it!

In using a 3"  cut in half Styrofoam ball and an still having a hard time hiding all of the actual ball, despite adding  more flowers. Am I using too many?? Should I be using toothpicks instead of wired flowers?           ..........No use wires               using needle nose pliers to place them in..Is this the way it's done?  ..........   Yes

It's soo delicate and wondering if I'm doing it wrong.       ........Cover the styro w/fondant or gp     Fill in /leaves &or filler flowers 

Is there a standard size 1/2 ball to use for a 6" cake??       .........not that I’m aware of:)    

Any advice would be appreciated, Thankyou and enjoy your day.

And yes I'm struggling on making the roses look realistic. Any hints would be welcomed as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2019 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 6

Your pic finally showed up on my phone   My suggestion is to use only 1 large rose then The smaller ones before adding fillers & leaves    Id even make them smaller   Using more fillers w/lighten the piece — make it more delicate looking   Anyhoo that’s my opinion:)   Over all you are doing good   

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 14 Mar 2019 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 6

Would it be possible to cover the ball in a green gumpaste/fondant before placing the flowers into it?  That way if you do have any open space it is the same color as your leaves/stems rather than straight styrofoam.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Mar 2019 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 6

you're not doing anything wrong -- ok see the pretty rose colored rose there and the leaf spray under it there -- see that one baby leaf turned sideways to the camera? you could literally just fold it back at the wire and you're there -- or just clip it off and re-attach it maybe with a longer wire and it will perfectly fill that spot that's showing --

in general just put your leaves closer to the base and you're there -- if you want you could put the big flowers on first then put the leaves on there to cover the ball -- then add the rest -- then you can pull the leaves out a bit if necessary --

all you really need to do is re-attach the leaf spray there closer -- done

great job!! lovely work

or if you made a few small buds on a wire to go there --

you got this

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 6

Beautiful work!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%