10 Inch Pans

Baking By Dawn_K Updated 15 Mar 2019 , 3:20pm by SandraSmiley

Dawn_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn_K Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 5

Although I’ve loved baking for the family for 30 years, I not that experienced with layer cakes lol.  My daughter asked me to make her two 10 inch round cakes for her to layer and decorate.  I was going to make Hershey’s chocolate cake.  Is one recipe enough or do I have to double it? Or one and a half it maybe?  Thank you!!!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 5

That recipe is enough for only on 10"x2" round pan.  I would double it.  If by any change you do have leftover batter make some cupcakes for the family to enjoy.  BTW: each pan should be filled w/batter 1/2 to 2/3rds full.  Goodluck and happy baking :) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Mar 2019 , 12:39am
post #3 of 5

The Hersey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake, while delicious, is very delicate.  Be careful and be sure your tiers are well chilled before trying to stack.  I'm made a million of them, but always in 8" or 9".  They break very easily.

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 11:22am
post #4 of 5

Interesting - I’ve always loved that cake but found the same issue.  I wonder if there’s a way to fortify the recipe...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 5

I don't know, KatyN.  When I want a more sturdy, yet yummy, chocolate cake, I use kakeladi's WASC recipe adapted for chocolate cake and add chocolate istant pudding, chocolate extract and strong coffee to kick up the flavor.  Honestly, it is just as tasty as the other recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%