Freezing The Top Tier Of A Fondant Covered Wedding Cake

Decorating By missbecakin Updated 13 Mar 2019 , 6:51pm by SandraSmiley

missbecakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missbecakin Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my daughters wedding cake in April and it will be buttercream, then covered in fondant then sugar pearls applied heavily to that.  Will it be possible to freeze it for them to have for their first anniversary?  Been looking for an answer but everything I find about freezing them is for no more than 2 months.  I'm doing a dummy for that tier for the day of the wedding, so may be best to just remake it for their first anniversary.

3 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 4

You can definitely freeze the top tier for their anniversary.  I would wrap it really well in cling wrap (a couple layers, tightly) and then wrap it again in foil.  And I would probably even stick that in a freezer bag but that isn't necessary as long as you have wrapped it well in the cling and foil.

But yeah, if you are just doing a dummy tier for the top tier for the actual wedding day then just wait until their anniversary to make them a fresh cake.  It would seem silly to make the top tier to just freeze instead of using it on the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 4

Yrs ago I read a newspaper article on how to wrap a top tier for a yrs storing in the fzr. to keep from crushing/distroying the decorations take stripes of plastic wrap (they used wax paper but plastic wrap is better) and lay them + fashion on a cookie sheet, place the cake on that and freeze for about 1-2 hours.  Take out and wrap well w/the plastic wrap then using aluinum foil do the same - make a + of 2 stripes and wrap the plastic wrapped cake in the foil well.  *Never!* wrap a cake (probably any food) with foil alone.  It easily gets pin-hole and therefore will dry out whatever is wrapped in it.   I prefer to place the plastic wrapped cake into a cake box which is then placed into a zip-loc type plastic bag rather than use the foil wrap.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 4

Ditto the above advise.  Yes you can freeze it for a year and, if wrapped properly, it will be as delicious and fresh tasting as the day of the wedding.  I am speaking from personal experience with my own wedding cake and, much more recently, my niece's wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%