Business Collaboration Between Home Baker And Established Professional Company?

Business By snack_arts Updated 11 Mar 2019 , 7:42pm by SandraSmiley

snack_arts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snack_arts Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 4

Setting up a whole baking business (like any business) obviously takes a lot of time and effort, and to be honest, I just don’t have the financial resources to do that.

Do you think existing cake businesses would be open to a business collaboration? For starters, I’m thinking of approaching local cake designers who already have store fronts to see if they would be interested in selling some of my gingerbread houses on consignment (or some other arrangement) where I can find exposure and revenue, and they could get some extra products to offer without having to do any of the labour, and get a percentage of the profit.

Another option would be for me to make promotional products/displays to use for raffles to raise money for charity, but have them partner by sponsoring. We could both benefit from trying to get media exposure.

I’m trying to find a mutually beneficial arrangement where I can still operate independently (without having to be an employee working for another cake artist). I realise I’m trying to benefit by standing on the shoulders of those who have built a business before me, but I’m hoping there is some way what I have to offer is of value to another business owner.

Do you have any suggestions that might appeal to cake shop owners or advice on how to connect with businesses?

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 4

if I had a brick and mortar I would be hard pressed to include you in my pie -- I would want to talk the client into purchasing some of my wares -- I know that's not what you want to hear but no I don't think it would work -- I just answered your other question and i'm not being a debbie downer although I am shooting straight -- I've been in this industry for over 40 years and it's not at all what it used to be -- 

on the other hand -- I think there could be a niche for 3-d cookies -- sugar cookies not just gingerbread -- but I would be my own business or partner with a  gift shop or something like that -- well maybe not a gift shop but a party goods store --

best of the best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 4

like a tree cookie standing 10" or 12" tall with a ton of cookie leaves with each kid's name on it (all the kids at the b-day party) nice tall or wide easter bunny cookie with cookie eggs -- all that kind of stuff but they gotta stand up and be seen -- you know how to do that? Christmas tree, giant snowflake -- all kinds of stuff -- make your own cookie cutters -- something like that might work

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 4

If you feel comfortable approaching a person with an existing business, it is possible your specialty items, such as your gingerbread houses, could be beneficial to both of you.  Personally, I would not feel comfortable doing so.

Offering to donate items for a charity will, in deed get you noticed.....by other charities who will want you to make a similar donation to their cause.  I am only a hobby cake decorator / sugar artist, but I've heard many professionals comment on this practice and they have expressed that they never receive any business from it.  I do the occasional specialty cake and bake cakes for Icing Smiles children and most everyone discovered me through my FaceBook page.  Maybe some of the members who have a business will chime in and offer thoughts on how to get started.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%