New To Gumpaste How To Hide The Styrafoam

Decorating By Barb905 Updated 12 Mar 2019 , 12:12am by SandraSmiley

Barb905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb905 Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hello!

I'm brand new to gumpaste and this is my second try and have soooo many questions. How do I hide the styrafoam base? Should I be using green instead of white? And do you start with the leaves then the flowers? Any help on anything you see would be greatly appreciated.

So happy there is a forum and thankyouNew To Gumpaste How To Hide The Styrafoam

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 5

oh the half ball underneath -- wow very pretty for your first ones! -- sure, you could color it green or add more leaves and filler flowers -- you might want the foam to stay white so it doesn't stand out from the cake that might be iced white -- just whatever your creativity desires -- you could add a couple more overlapping petals on those rows if you wanted -- but gf, you totally got this --

you can also do just the bud on a wire too that would be a nice graduation with all the ones you already have -- a few of those dotted around could fill in the open areas too --

but those leaves down in front there -- if you just move them up over the exposed foam right there -- you got it covered --

start it any way you want -- sometimes you can make a spray too -- all florist taped and wired together and just plunk that on top too --and you could make a spray of the buds in graduated sizes getting smaller at the end -- 

you are doing fantastic -- best to you

clap

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 5

and feel free to start a new post if you need to respond -- new members often have to wait a few weeks/months before they can answer posts -- I think it might be a safe guard to the big spam messes we occasionally get slammed with -- that's pure conjecture on my part -- but do feel free to start a new post if you can't reply 

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 5

THAT is you 2nd try?????   WOW you are good! :)   K8 has given you some nice suggestions.  Another one might be to cover the styro w/fondant before adding the flowers......maybe just high enough rather than totally full -- all for saving fondant $$ :)    K8's suggestion to move up the bottom leaf stem seems really good to me. Just bend the stem wires or add more leaves around/on it

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 12:12am
post #5 of 5

Like the others, I am blown away that this is only your second attempt at making roses!  You are a natural!  I would cover the styrofoam with fondant in the same color as the cake or green to tie in with the leaves and filler.  I have even used a ball of fondant instead of styrofoam, just arranged the flowers right into it and let it set up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%