Is There A Market For Gingerbread Houses?

Business By snack_arts Updated 11 Mar 2019 , 11:36pm by SandraSmiley

snack_arts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snack_arts Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 12:42am
post #1 of 3

OK i know it's only March and gingerbread is traditionally a Christmas thing but...

Every gingerbread article I read seems to be about a contest or a store display, or some kind of Christmas display for a business. Are gingerbread houses only used as promotional opportunities for media? Every link I try that is recommended for someone who sells (or did sell) houses seems to lead to a non-existent website.

It makes sense that cakes rule because there are SO many occasions, and gingerbread seems very limited in its appeal, and there are cheap kits sold everywhere during the season.

I'm not looking to try and compete with those. I think of gingerbread houses (and other items) more as decorative. In fact, I was considering trying to sell them more as craft items after a good coat of shellac, although most of the 'wow' comes from structures being made from edible materials.

The kind of houses I want to make would end up being expensive, but I'd like to try other items other than strictly houses to build out of gingerbread. I just can't seem to find if there is a market out there for it - so either there is no market, it is such a limited market, it's only added on to existing bakeries/cake shops as an additional product, or no one else is doing this?

So that's my question I guess - are gingerbread houses only made for media and promotional attention or is there an actual market for them?

This is the last house I did. I raffled it off at a Christmas concert with proceeds going to the local food bank. I had signs up with my website and Facebook links, but it generated no interest at all beyond the money it raised during the raffle.

Is There A Market For Gingerbread Houses?

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 3

this isn't what you want to hear but I don't think there's a market for gingerbread houses or much of any kind of confection because it's all been dumbed down so low with the cottage industry -- baking was never about making a lot of money in the first place -- "it's a penny business" (used to be)

but the fact that anyone can do it now or at least so many many more than before dilutes the industry down to not so much at all --

wish it was different but pandora's box is wide open --

best to you

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 3

I agree, -K8memphis.  To me it is a rewarding hobby, but I would never consider trying to any form of sugar art as a profession.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%