Swiss Merinuge Bc Troubleshooting

Decorating By ir3howell Updated 12 Mar 2019 , 12:30am by MerMadeBakedGoods

ir3howell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ir3howell Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

It's my first time trying to make a Swiss meringue BC and so far I haven't been able to get stiff peaks after heating my egg whites and sugar. i have successfully made meringue cookies and macrons, so I am familiar with the issues of yolk/fat contamination, so these shouldn't be the problem..

I heated the mixture until 160F (according to my thermometer, which I guess could be inaccurate, but from what I've read, temperature isn't as important as just making sure the sugar is dissolved--but maybe this is not completely true?)

My egg white/sugar mixture whips up to a room temperature, glossy, sticky, flowing mixture. So I never even get to the butter stage. I'm using a hand mixer (beat for about 20 minutes) and I can feel that the mixture is thick and gooey

I used 3 egg whites and 180 g sugar.

Any ideas of what the issue could be? Has anyone had this problem? help would be very appreciated.. am hesitant to waste more egg whites : (

4 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 5

I’ve never had any luck making SMBC with a hand mixer, and it was actually the reason I got a stand mixer, and it works much better!  I also use the other method of making SMBC, where you heat your sugar and egg whites, cool it, beat your butter first, then add it in.

Otherwise, your egg whites may still just be a little warm— it takes forever for it to cool down.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 5

The base recipe that I use and has never failed me, is 5 whites per 1 cup (180 g) of sugar.  (plus 12 oz - 3 sticks- butter).  Maybe more whites would allow it to whip up.  I also use a KA.  Even then it takes a while to cool off and whip up.  Good luck.  SMBC is so good!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 12:28am
post #4 of 5

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 12:30am
post #5 of 5

Ditto on needing a stand mixer :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%