I’M The Bazillionth Person To Have This Fondant Problem, But....

Decorating By MerMadeBakedGoods Updated 11 Mar 2019 , 11:39pm by SandraSmiley

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 12

I’m so sick of worrying about my fondant decorations I make a day or two in advance :(.

my main cake order for this weekend has a lot of different fondant pieces so I have to make them in advance, but since I’m attaching to fondant cake, they have to have a curve to them when they dry. So I stick them to my 8” cake dummy. And this morning, two of them broke when I popped them off, including this one. 

I’M The Bazillionth Person To Have This Fondant Problem, But....I don’t wanna make this again!!! I’m going to use fondant glue to put it back together, but how do I keep it slightly soft while also on the cake dummy?!? Fridge? 

I dunno....but if anyone can help me, I know it’s you guys!

11 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 12

If you want to keep your fondant pieces soft, make sure you wrap them in plastic wrap to keep the air out.  Or, cover your dummy with plastic wrap before you place the pieces on it.  You could also lightly cover them with plastic.  As long as the air doesn't get to them, they'll stay soft and be less likely to break.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks, @cakefan92. I don’t k ow why I’m always nervous they’ll turn to mush...I should know by know wrapping in plastic is different than putting them in a Tupperware. I’m going to do that right now. I really appreciate your help :).

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 12

Not a problem. Take a deep breath and relax - you got this.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 4:00am
post #5 of 12

When I make fondant pieces in advance and want them to stay flexible, I slide the whole thing into a large plastic Ziploc bag.  The will stiffen up, but will stay flexible for a few days.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks, Sandra :)

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 12

Hi everyone - thank you so much for all your help! All of he fondant pieces made it onto the cake - whew!

wanna hear the kicker? I delivered the cake last night to the venue...and she forgot to bring my check. I had visions of me smashing the cake on the ground (heehee), but I told her to get it to me today. I still haven’t heard from her!!

I’M The Bazillionth Person To Have This Fondant Problem, But....I’M The Bazillionth Person To Have This Fondant Problem, But....I’M The Bazillionth Person To Have This Fondant Problem, But....I’M The Bazillionth Person To Have This Fondant Problem, But....I’M The Bazillionth Person To Have This Fondant Problem, But....

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 12

tape a strip of parchment paper around the pan first. 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 2:22am
post #9 of 12

Your cake looks super!  Good luck with getting paid.  I am not sure I would have let her take the cake.  I guess it depends upon who it was and how well I knew and trusted her.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 3:44am
post #10 of 12

I know- it was super weird. It was at a restaurant and i had to wait for her to arrive and suprise her husband... so I waited a couple of minutes and went in expecting to collect the check and everyone was surrounding the cake taking pictures ....and then she told me she forgot the check!! That has NEVER HAPPENEDTO ME BEFORE!!! and since the party was already in full swing and I had set up the cake, it would have been very awkward to carry it away in front of all the guests. So now I’m just stewing in my anger over here :).

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 3:47am
post #11 of 12

You need a contract and make a habit of getting 1/2 of the cost at the time of booking (non-refundable) and the balance due a week prior to delivery.  Then you don't have to worry about not getting paid.

I surely hope you have been calling her!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%