Super Shiny Metallics And Edible

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 11 Mar 2019 , 8:47pm by maybenot

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
14 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 15

I actually love seeing their ads on my facebook! I cannot wait to invest in every single one! LOVE their products!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 15

I saw these too and they are fabulous!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 15

I love her -- her approach and her style and all her products!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 15

And now, the bubble burster.................The metallic paints are from Australia.  The FDA does not, has not, will not, "approve" of the ingredients or the products.  A quick search shows that they use E numbers for ingredients.  The honey gold metallic uses E172 which can be used ONLY in sausage casings, mints/candy/gum, and pet foods in the US.  I'm not going to research all of them, but just like Rolkem products, these are made for the Australian audience, not US food products.

The Jewel dust is made by confectioneryarts.com and can be had on Amazon and other places a lot cheaper than ECG sells it.  It's mica based and nothing special.  There are others out there, too.

There is no need to salivate over products from foreign companies.  Poppy Paints, a company right here in the good old USA, makes reasonably priced metallics using FDA approved colors.  You can mix any of the non-metallic colors with a metallic to get gorgeous custom colors. http://poppypaint.com/color-list/

Do I have a problem with ECG?  YES.  They have, for years, sold inedible metallic dusts, encouraged people to cover foods in it, and when questioned on that practice they poo-poo it and say to just remove it [even when it's ALL OVER THE FOOD ITEM].

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 15

it's against federal law to lie about it being fda approved ingredients -- she sent me her proof -- so you think she is lying?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 12:16am
post #7 of 15

This is the first time I've ever heard of Poppy Paints.

maybenot Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 2:06am
post #8 of 15

Well, K8, Rolkem said the same thing when they wanted to enter the US market..........they promised sellers for months that they had paperwork to prove it.........they didn't.

I'm honestly not certain that most people, especially those from other countries, understand what "FDA approved" actually means. 

The FDA has certified a list of 9 colors that require batch certification.  In order for a color additive to be able to be used on/in food, it must use those 9 colors plus other GRAS [generally regarded as safe] ingredients or color additives that don't require certification.  If a colorant doesn't  require certification, it must be used ONLY in the way it is intended. Certified batch colors must come from sources approved by the FDA in order for the product to meet FDA standards.

Crystal Colors & The Sugar Art use certified colors.  They have had their formulations reviewed by the FDA to insure that they meet food safety standards.  It's a very costly process and foreign companies [that don't have US subsidiaries] simply don't do it.  Two foreign companies that I know of that have gone the extra mile to comply with FDA requirements are Roxy & Rich [Canada] and Rainbow Dust USA.  They use FDA certified batch colors.   Roxy & Rich manufacture in Canada using FDA certified & approved ingredients.  Rainbow Dust partners with Renshaw Americas to produce approved FDA products.

The key is the batch certified colors...........so, I'm doubtful.  Just the use of E172 makes me wonder because the use is very tightly defined by the FDA.

Is this picky?  You bet.  Foreign companies have no real responsibility or liability in the US.  These products don't fill a void because there are US products that are already available in this niche market.  The Poppy Paints are great.  I've met the originator & she started as a home based business a few years ago. 

And, to spoil the whole thing, these paints are merely confectioner's glaze thinned with Everclear mixed with a good, edible luster dust added to create a good paint consistency...............yes, the wheel reinvented.

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 15

I love the poppy paints as well!

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 15

I hear you, maybenot, -- here's what I did 

I questioned evil cake genius about her colors she sent me full disclosure with ingredients right away -- 

at the same time I asked the poppy people on their contact me thing and when I got no response I emailed them directly -- crickets are chirping -- I just  really don't think robin would endanger her business by saying these are fda approved and them not be -- the poppy people are not home --

evil cake genius clearly states on her site: 

Metallic Paints for Cakes Cookies, and Airbrushing
that are approved FDA, EU, and AU food grade!

so if I need metallics I would get hers --

maybenot Posted 10 Mar 2019 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 15

Well, it's very easy to find the ingredients for Poppy Paints.  They're sold by reputable companies like Country Kitchen Sweet Art and are published there.

https://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/ingredients-icing-colors-flavors/poppy-paint-super-shine/46/535/1811/651762/

Ingredients: Alcohol, Resinous Glaze, Modified Cellulose. Contains one or more of the following: Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2, Yellow 5 and Yellow 6 Lakes, Red 3 Dye, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Rice Starch.

See the FDA Certified colors mentioned--no E numbers, etc., and all other ingredients are GRAS..........and NO SYNTHETIC IRON OXIDES because in the US, those are not permitted in this type of product.

ECG is merely repeating what was provided by a foreign company seeking to access  the US market.  ECG doesn't make these products.

Again, just the incorrect use of E172, synthetic iron oxides and iron hydroxides, invalidates the claim that these products meet FDA guidelines.  In the US, iron oxides are for food use in SAUSAGE CASINGS, HARD CANDY & MINTS, & certain other applications in tightly controlled amounts.  They can be used in some drugs & cosmetics as well.

Sensient Food Colors is one of the largest food color manufacturers in the US.  They supply many of the names we are familiar with as cake decorators who then custom blend the edible petal & luster dusts that we use.  Sensient even commented in 2015 about the FDA expanding the use of iron oxides from just sausage casings to hard candy/mints/chewing gum........but that expansion went no further.   Go look at EDIBLE dusts by well known  US companies.  You will not find iron oxides in those dusts..............Some proudly note that they do not use iron oxides.

https://sensientfoodcolors.com/en-us/confection/iron-oxides-approved-by-the-fda/

Picky?  YES, but it's high time that foreign companies that bandy about "FDA Approval" are STOPPED.  Companies in the US that are actually bound by FDA regulations spend a lot of money to operate properly and then have to compete unfairly with foreign companies misusing terms and outside the reach of the FDA & other US regulatory agencies.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 2:07am
post #12 of 15

actually no it was not easy to find the ingredients even though I asked several times -- global sugar art doesn't carry them either -- i'm a consumer not a scientist but I can read -- it seems to say to me you can use them  "

On March 20th, 2015; Red, Yellow and Black Iron Oxides were approved as ‘Exempt from Certification’
(i.e. Natural) colors by the FDA for use in soft and hard candy, mints, and chewing gum. This action is in response to a petition filed by Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company.

Natural Colors can often face stability issues, in some cases creating formulation challenges. Iron Oxides
are excellent replacements for synthetic FD&C colors in terms of stability, shade and cost-in-use.

Stability:
Iron Oxides, which have been approved in Europe for use in food for years, are extremely stable. They have no chemical or physical reaction to acid, heat, light, moisture, oils, oxygen, or pH. This makes them ideal for confection applications because of the differing process variables involved.

maybenot Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 15

I didn't ask for the ingredients.  I googled the product and found the ingredients listed on countrykitchensa.com.  But, having had experience with the product, and the original maker of  Poppy Paint, I already knew that they had developed the product to adhere to FDA requirements--they have touted that and had the documentation to prove it since day 1-- as I said in an earlier post.

http://poppypaint.com/faq/

Is Poppy Paint FDA approved?

While the FDA does not individually approve food products, they do approve or refuse certain ingredients. Color additives used in the US must be certified, by batch, before being approved for use. Each of the ingredients in Poppy Paint are approved for use as food additives, and the colorants used in our paints are all batch certified by the FDA. For more information, please see the links below.

References: “Although FDA does not have premarket approval of food products, it has the authority to approve certain ingredients before they are used in foods. Those include food additives, such as substances added intentionally to food, and color additives.” https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm047470.htm

“Color Certification is a Congressionally mandated program for FDA enforcement of specifications by batch certification of the certifiable color additives that are added to foods, drugs, cosmetics, and medical devices in the United States.” https://www.fda.gov/forindustry/coloradditives/colorcertification/colorcertificationreports/default.htm

No, it does not say that you can use them in food color additives.  You can use them ONLY IN THE APPLICATIONS SPECIFIED.  You don't get to pick and choose things that fall outside the guidelines set by the agency.  Same reason that there are things that are fine in drugs but not fine on food.  The agency has reasons for its decisions.  I'm not party to those, but I accept them.  As you can see, Wrigley directly appealed to the agency to use iron oxides in a limited scope application.  When reviewed by the FDA, the appeal was granted and they added the use guideline to the FDA website, opening up the opportunity to other producers of like products. 

To the best of my knowledge, no company--US or otherwise-- has petitioned to use iron oxides in powdered or liquid food colors. If they had, and it had been approved, it would be noted with the year and the guideline on the FDA website.

A few years ago, a Canadian company, Roxy & Rich, began making hybrid dusts, etc. that they wanted to market in the US, Canada, & the EU.  They deliberately chose to use FDA certified colors and they make the point of NOT using iron oxides on their website: "The Hybrid Sparkle Dust collection offers a selection of 64 colours, 8 of which feature a pearl finish, all free of iron oxide (E172)."

Last week I had an hour long conversation with a well know US company that makes edible dusts.  We discussed the fact that in order to comply with FDA requirements they cannot use "E172"--iron oxides--in their products.  If they could use them, they would, but they greatly value their compliance--and I can tell you that some of the things they've had to do in order to comply with the FDA have cost them a lot of time & $$$.  Foreign companies simply don't bother because the US FDA can't examine their facilities, suppliers, etc.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 15

gotcha -- thanks

maybenot Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 15

Image result for thumbs up emoji

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%