How To Keep Fiber Off Of Your Fondant

Decorating By PmelDono Updated 6 Mar 2019 , 4:20pm by SandraSmiley

PmelDono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PmelDono Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 9:01am
post #1 of 12

Dear Bakers,

I am just a beginner at Cake Baking and Decorating. I recently made cake pops and a large cake for my son's birthday. He loved them. But I struggle to keep fibers (from clothes and other fabrics) from getting on fondant. No amount of wiping and cleaning seem to work. I'd always find bits and pieces of fibers on my white fondant. I had to painstakingly pick them off with a knife which ruins the smoothness of the fondant. How do I avoid this in the future? 

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 12

I’d forgotten all about that   I remember wearing a new pair of jeans to my introduction lesson of fondant and getting blue fondant:)   The teacher mentioned about wearing “fluffy “sweaters” etc

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 12

I have just been thinking about this today, after making a bow that had some fibers!

A few things to do, which I totally didn’t when I made the bow, is to change clothes into something that has been worn yet.  Athletic wear is great! It tends to be smooth and have less fibers.  Wipe down everything, and then dry it with a paper towel, and don’t use rags to dry your hands off, but a paper towel instead, as well.

Otherwise, I’m also lost for a solution, and am wondering if it’s just part of it.

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 12

Hasn’t been worn.*

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 12

I found drying my hands on towels to be the culprit. I ONLY dry my hands with paper towels when working with fondant. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 12

i learned the hard way to keep my clean rolling pins and silicone type mats & things of that nature covered in plastic when not in use to eliminate dust & fibers on them -- so that's a thought 

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 12

I use a small chunk of fondant to "wipe down" my rolling pin, mat, even counter top (after cleaning, of course).  That seems to grab even the tiniest of fibers and has helped a lot!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 12

perfect -- lark6209!

lark6209 Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 12

LOL, Thanks, K9memphis.  I probably read that advice here, but it does help a lot!

lark6209 Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 12

Ok, so I had a typo and can't edit.  K8memphis!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 12

arf arf dog  blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 12

This feed is brilliant!  I hate fuzzies and fight them all the time!  I love some of these ideas that I have not tried, but will in the future!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%