Friday Night Cake Club For 03/01/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 7 Mar 2019 , 4:24pm by MerMadeBakedGoods

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 14

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Another busy week but better late than never, right?

I did three cakes this week. The first was a new recipe, chocolate filled Kahlua tiramisu cake, to celebrate the birthdays of two of my coworkers that have a February birthday. It was a lot of steps but so worth it!  With the hundreds of cakes I have made, this was my first time doing a sponge cake. For anyone interested, here is the recipe link: https://www.rockrecipes.com/chocolate-filled-kahlua-tiramisu-cake/

Next up was a baby shower cake. I was sent a picture of cake they liked (by Little Hunnys  Cakery) and I put my own touches on it including the burlap banner to match the shower decor.

The final cake was a belated birthday for my niece. She loves Stitch and so that is what she requested for a cake.  Our roads are beyond horrible right now and so with an hour to drive I was too nervous to make him standing up but still wanted to do a 3D cake. I did a quick Google search for ideas and found one by Casiopée Designs that was perfect.  My niece and family just returned from a trip to Cuba (lucky ducks) and so Stitch on the beach seemed perfect.  The hibiscus flowers are my first ones made from wafer paper and was happy with how they turned out.

Hope everyone has had a great week and loom forward to seeing what you have been up to ☺

Kelly

13 replies
kstevens Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 14

kstevens Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 14

kstevens Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 14

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 12:33am
post #5 of 14

Those are unbelievable! Is that stork fondant? Any wiring in there? He looks so sturdy! I always have problems with that...

My order this week was a My Little Pony cake-rainbow rosettes and fondant decorations. She didn’t want to pay for my fondant pony work..so she sent me the actual toys to put on. I guess that’s okay because it saved me a lot of time? But I worry that hen other potential customers may think they’re plastic toys because I’m incapable of creating them?!?!Friday Night Cake Club For 03/01/19Friday Night Cake Club For 03/01/19

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 4:20am
post #6 of 14

My oldest had a birthday this week, so of course more cupcakes.  Pikachu was milk cake with cinnamon buttercream, Lucario was chocolate fudge cake with chocolate ganache and champagne butter cream, and Jigglypuff was vanilla cake with bubblegum buttercream. 

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 14

Wow, look at these!!!!  

Stitch is amazing and I love the stork!!

MLP colors are so vibrant!!

I didn’t do anything quite so exciting!  LOL

A couple weddings!  Much of my work is also flavor profiles - and that’s mainly cupcakes.  Amazing thin mint cupcake  this week to celebrate Girl Scouts!

B/C, by request the spackled look, as it’s called here.  

LOVE this idea of the FNCC!

Friday Night Cake Club For 03/01/19Friday Night Cake Club For 03/01/19Butterxr

kstevens Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 14

@MerMadeBakedGoods love the bright colors in your cake and the cupcakes look yummy!  The stork on my cake was modeling chocolate as I find it so much easier to work with.  He has a Styrofoam egg for the body with wooden skewers in the legs and neck.  I was worried about his stability as his head made him a little top heavy but he survived. 

@thecanadian160 your cupcake toppers look great!  Did you freehand cut them all?

@KatyN love the texture on both of your cakes :-)

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 14

These are all beautiful and delicious looking cakes!!! I am totallu jealous! This week I did my first 3 tiered cake, which was also my first time doing ruffles and quilting!  I’m also working on a sculpted Litten cake for a friend.Friday Night Cake Club For 03/01/19

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 14

@Kitchensix...that looks awesome! Did those ruffles take you FOREVER?!

KitchenSix Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 14

The ruffles took me about 3.5 hours!!! But so worth it! Circle ruffles are my favorite kind of ruffles

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 14

Holy macaronis! Worth it..but I hope you charged for it!

KitchenSix Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 14

This was actually a cake I volunteered/donated for a Mommy Daughter Dance coming up, in order to help get my name out there.  They didn’t ask for thme cake or anything, I actually took action and volunteered.  It was expensive on my part, but hopefully it pays off!

I worked it out, though, and would’ve charged $335 for this, I think.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 14

Sounds about right to me :) That’s quite a donation- very thoughtful of you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%