Multi Events Cake

Decorating By Laetia Updated 22 Apr 2019 , 4:05am by Laetia

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 21

Hi,

On Easter day, my boyfriend grand father will be turning 95 years old and my mother in law 66. I want to make a cake for the events but I have hard time figuring it out. I want the main focus to be the 95th birthday, without leaving my mil birthday out of the way. Easter is not my priority theme, maybe just some pastel colors somewhere? I want a pretty decorated cake. I was thinking things like ombre or flowers or lace. Affraid it may be to girly for grandpa... The cake only need to serve 20, but I'm more than willing to do a 2 tiers even if it will feed more than needed. Well, I'm kinda lost! Any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 21

There are some ideas for you in my gallery   On pg 5 about 1/2 way down;  the 1st pg the 5th pic  &3rd from the last; pg 3 - 8th from the end; &on the 14th page the 8th pic   Sorry I can’t link them for you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 21

how may people is it for? two or three?

-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 21

if it's two people -- what about divide the cake in half with an ombre with the dark part on top fading down to light -- then on the other half -- the light part on top fading down to lighter -- then gramps gets the dark ombre side with a big 95 on the top and some scrolls or something and mil gets the other side with some flowers or something?

Laetia Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks @kakeladi !  Not sure I found the exact cakes you were refering too, but I've browsed through your gallery and found some interesting ideas. Your piping is very pretty. Wish I could do that...

The cake is for 2 peoples (grandpa and mil) and their birthday is on Easter day @k8memphis . Love your idea of inverse ombre. I'll keep that in mind. 

Thanks ladies!

Laetia Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 21

Any tought, Is this desing to feminine for grandpa? Is it too "cliché" with the pink and blue? The 66 placing feels odd to me, idk... 

Multi Events Cake

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 21

I feel as long as the blue is at least med to deep shade and the pink very light is will work -  In fact I think more of a light mauve instead of outright pink.   The 66 might look a bit better if it could be above her picture -- basically as it is but have her pic under it   BTW:  Great drawing!!

kakeladi Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 21

Oh & men enjoy flowers too :)  Maybe use the overall icing in a light tan/beige/off-white, too would help keep it looking too feminine

Laetia Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 1:32am
post #9 of 21

You've almost read my kind @kakeladi ! Actualy I'm planing on covering the cakes with ivory/off white fondant. The pinkish colors I'm aming for is kinda dusty pink/mauve/lilac... not sure how to call it! And the blue will be med to almost navy. The only thing is there are no picture of my mil on the cake... they will be all grandpa's. Will it be odd? I mean, he's the one turning 95. He is the main event! 

Thanks for the drawing compliment. Those drawing take me forever to make but I'm realy getting better at it on everyone I draw. It help me so much visualising what I want to do. I'm "brain blind"  when it comes to visualisation!

Laetia Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 1:40am
post #10 of 21

Well, I could do one picture of both of them together...

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 6:00am
post #11 of 21

Maybe you could spell out her name following the numbers?  Keep it smallish —same as the numbers  or the pic of the 2of but I ‘m leaning on the name idea 

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 6:13am
post #12 of 21

Those are going to be very small tiers For the # Of servings you need   Don’t really see how it’s going to look as you’re top tier will probably be only a 4”er:(   A 9” or 10” w/a  6” is even more than you want    Oh also don’t go as deep as navy—keep it   lighter definitely more medium 

Laetia Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 9:50am
post #13 of 21

Her name is Louise-Andrée. Even though I want to keep it small it's going to stay pretty long! For the sizes, I'll probabably do a 9 (or 8) and a 6 inches tiers. I know it's way more than I need, but I already have those pans on hand. 4 and 7 would have been nice but I dont realy have the money to buy those these days. I did'nt thought about it until now, but I might use a styro dummy as the top tier... I'll play with colors next week. I'm so bad at it, never get the color I realy want. 

kakeladi Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 3:51pm
post #14 of 21

I guess that  name does make a difference:)   Yes a dummy could be used—I didn’t think of that! :(  Guess this old mind is beginning to not work so well lately     Do what you like w/the colors 

when you see them together you can tell if it’s what you want — Just remember colors get darker as they age & are exposed to air so don’t go overboard on the blue   Test it by putting a small blob on something &let sit overnight before you are sure “that’s perfect!”  

Laetia Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 4:01pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks for your help and time @kakeladi ! Btw, your old mins seems to be working just fine to me... ;)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 12:25am
post #16 of 21

bump

Laetia Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 21

So here it is!

Bottom is an 8inch maple carrot cake with white balsamic buttercream. Top tier is a 5 inch chocolate cake with raspberry buttercream. 

Finaly it is not exactly as I planed because I made my flowers a little too big... Not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out. It's not my first two tiers, but probably my most elaborate cake ever.

Multi Events CakeMulti Events CakeMulti Events Cake

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 7:11pm
post #18 of 21

It is beautiful and I love the size of the flowers!  With all of the other details, they needed size to make a statement.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 21

well done — looks perfectly balanced to me — as well as beautiful — love all the gold details, flowers, the pictures, lace, etc. —i bet they loved it!

kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2019 , 10:59pm
post #20 of 21

WOW  what a great design   Looks really good even if you think the flavors are to big    Remember we usually are our own worst critic:)

Laetia Posted 22 Apr 2019 , 4:05am
post #21 of 21

Thank you so much ladies, your nice words mean a lot to me.  They loved it and could not believe everything was edible. It was time consuming, but it was well worth it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%