Turn Table

Decorating By KatyN Updated 26 Feb 2019 , 2:14pm by jchuck

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 12

I was shocked to find that the Wilton Tilting turntable is close to $60!

Is that worth it for anyone, to pay for the tilting feature?

I need one with some height, and that boards won’t slide on, hopefully without breaking the bank.  Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 12
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 12

I consider the Aceto model, posted by -K8memphis, to be superior to the Wilton because it is heavy duty medal and turns freely.  I've never needed a tilt feature either.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 12

and you can use the ATECO one upside down too for small tiers

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 12

WHAT???  How do you do that, -K8memphis?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 12

hmm the word ATECO changes to all caps by itself -- I was gonna say I didn't know how it got all capitalized there because i'm allergic to capital letters but I figured it out when I typed it the second time here -- interesting

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 12

sandra -- I mean it's as simple as turning it upside down -- y'know like if you have to press dragees or nuts or something into the sides of a  cake on a board smaller than 12"

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 12

one of my bosses was ocd and this used to mess her up when I turned it upside down -- loved it hahahaha

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Feb 2019 , 4:35am
post #11 of 12

You mean you set the cake board (with the cake on it, of course) on the bottom of the base and used the turntable itself as the bottom?  Cool!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Feb 2019 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 12

I have the Wilton tilting turntable. Got for a unbelievable price. It’s sitting languishing with other unused decorating tools in my Tool junkyard   :o)

I very rarely use it. I have 2 smooth glass turntables from....wait for it...the “Dollar Store”...that work wonderfully. I also have a large wooden turntable from Ikea. 

The last time I used my Wilton to tilt a cake was piping buttercream rosettes. That has to be prob 6-7 years ago?? Although the tilt is nice, the actual turntable just isn’t heavy enough. Way too flimsy for me. The cheapie glass turntables are quite heavy, so they are quite stable. Being just a hobby baker, I can’t justify spending big $$ on a Ateco turntable. I’d certainly like to win one, or find a bargoon on a buy & sell site tho.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%