Lace, Flowers And Armadillos...

Decorating By KatyN Updated 26 Feb 2019 , 12:05am by -K8memphis

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 24 Feb 2019 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 17

It’ll be an interesting wedding!

Questions!

The bride would like a lace design, preferably that looks like her dress, on the cake.  

I saw a tutorial that used a stencil and royal icing, but I don’t know if I can get a custom stencil.  Looking into that.

Perhaps use a small projector and trace it all by hand?  Any thoughts?

She wants clusters of flowers with some smaller accent flowers (baby’s breath, etc.).  I’ve not made any of the smaller ones - just wondering what would be best to accent with.  Making roses and hydrangeas.

The cake!  Many a tutorial on getting perfectly smooth corners.  The latest I saw uses the super large piping tip and a smoother.  I’m just trying to find a sure fire method.  I need really smooth frosting.  

Groom’s cake!  Bleeding armadillo!  I’ve seen it made with red velvet cake layers sliced in half.  Has anyone made this before?

thanks so much!

16 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 1:59am
post #2 of 17

It is not necessary that the lace be identical to the lace on her dress, as long as it is suggestive of the same.  There are stencils, molds for cake lace (lots of them) and molds for making fondant lace.  Any one of them could be enhansed with royal icing and / or adding pearls.

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 11:32am
post #3 of 17

I would try either stenciling or even buying a cake lace specific mold, and then either making or buying cake lace.

Doing little accent flowers like baby’s breath scares me a little, haha! I haven’t tried it, and honestly, for the smaller ones, I might buy silk flowers.

As for the square corners, I can’t help too much there because I haven’t really done square cakes, but I can say that the large piping tip method is definitely not for me.  If it’s buttercream, you might try smoothing with a hot spatula, or the 2 fondant smoothers and the viva paper towel.

For sculpting, definitely check out all the videos and tutorials you can for the specific cake you are doing.  Have some printed pictures ready, and if you feel like you need to, print out a template to put up against your cake to carve against.  Personally, I love sculpting!

That’s all I can think of, and good luck on your cakes! I hope you’ll post them!

KatyN Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks!

Sorry if I misworded - the cakes will be round, not square.  But definitely that perfectly smooth look.  I recall using the piping tips years ago for coverage and just didn’t care for it.  Not sure what else to do, so practice it shall be!

I actually found an amazing website where I can purchase materials for making a custom mold myself!

I honestly don’t think it will work, though, because the lace needs a border (like a heart) and hers isn’t like that.  On top of that, the materials are a good bit of added expense.

I’ve not used cake lace - is it prefashioned?  You just adhere it?  It must it be cut first?

I’d really love to learn to do more sculpted cakes!  Unfortunately, at work that’s not done very much. 

Oh, if you’ve any tips for tools that help whilst sculpting, I’d be appreciative to know what they are. 

Thanks!!

that, the cost of the materials is a good bit of added expense.

KatyN Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 17

Quote by @KatyN on 2 hours ago

Thanks!

Sorry if I misworded - the cakes will be round, not square.  But definitely that perfectly smooth look.  I recall using the piping tips years ago for coverage and just didn’t care for it.  Not sure what else to do, so practice it shall be!

I actually found an amazing website where I can purchase materials for making a custom mold myself!

I honestly don’t think it will work, though, because the lace needs a border (like a heart) and hers isn’t like that.  On top of that, the materials are a good bit of added expense.

I’ve not used cake lace - is it prefashioned?  You just adhere it?  It must it be cut first?

I wonder if a particular B/C works better as a base when stenciling....American vs Swiss?  More of a crusting B/C?

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 17

As I said, you can make cake lace using a mat specifically designed to make lace (there are hundreds of designs and you can probably find one similar to the bride's dress).  You can either make the mixture by hand or purchase it ready to use.

https://www.globalsugarart.com/cake/lace.html

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 17

There are also lace molds to be used with fondant.

https://marvelousmolds.com/silicone-molds/lace-molds/

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 17
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 17

Easy filler flowers......

You can also use leaves, either a natural green, or white as filler.

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 17

More filler flowers/buds.......

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 17

Filler flowers...

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 17

How to Ice a Cake - Smooth Buttercream by Edna De la Cruz

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 17

Another method for getting sharp edges  - this one is fondant.

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 17

Armadillo Cake tutorial.......

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 8:15pm
post #15 of 17

Red Velvet Cake recipe and tutorial by Joy of Baking.....

KatyN Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 11:00pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you for all the information!!

There are SO many lace molds out there!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2019 , 12:05am
post #17 of 17

see how the red velvet crumbed a bit into the filling there? it's prone to crumb like that -- so long as you are aware of this to hedge your bets -- you'll be fine --

and I didn't watch the video but I would attach those ears to skewers and stick them into the board --

by the way, sandra, great work with all those videos!!! I love edna too -- she used to on here once upon a time 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%