Drying Gel Food Coloring On Gum Paste

Decorating By SidselMunkholm Updated 22 Feb 2019 , 4:42pm by SandraSmiley

SidselMunkholm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SidselMunkholm Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 2

I made a gum paste Dumbo figure to place on top of a baby shower cake.  I've been drying it in the oven on my 'dryer' function, which is basically dehydrate.  I started 'painting' it yesterday, and while I'm pleased with most of it, it's not drying.  I used gel food coloring, white and black for the body, and regular food coloring for the collar and hat.  The grey body is still tacky. I have to deliver the cake on Saturday.  I also made a disc of plain Gum paste to put Dumbo on top, so that it can be removed easily from the top of the cake when it comes time to cut it.  I would like to put another thin coat of color on top, but hesitate to do so.  Any hints, gratefully accepted.  Thanks in advance.

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 2

I've only used gel color for painting on fondant, straight from the container, not diluted, once and it took a month to dry.  Black is the worst!  Now I always use powdered colors mixed with vodka and on the rare occasion that I do use gel color, I thin it liberally with vodka.  I am sorry I cannot offer any hints on how to get it to dry because mine never did....or if it did, I wasn't around to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%