Help! Need Fondant Boot Former

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 22 Feb 2019 , 9:06pm by jchuck

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:23am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know where I can purchase a boot former?  Cake Structure has discontinued their's and I can't find one anywhere else.  I've attached a photo of what I'm looking for.  This is the boot former and the drying rack, but I only need the boot former...not the entire kit.

.Help! Need Fondant Boot Former

9 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:45am
post #2 of 10

I've never seen this kit before.  If necessary, could you use a real boot?  Wrap it well in plastic wrap, then form the fondant over it?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 10

I’ve seen this kit, and also have a few decorator friends who purchased it. Said it wasn’t worth it. I made my own shoe former. Traced the shape onto medium density cardboard and cut out. Then I bought green florist foam, which is very easy to carve into a shoe former shape. Glued plastic wrap on the florists foam, then glued on the cardboard onto the foam. Hope this makes sense..

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 10

It makes perfect sense, June!  I use florist oasis all the time for the interior of my models and that is a brilliant idea to make a shoe form.

jchuck Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 10

Yup...very easy to carve, albeit messy!! And super cheap as compared to styrofoam.

jchuck Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 10

Oh, I should mention Sandra that I got berated on one of my FB cakey pages for saying I used the green florist foam to make a tractor topper for my grandson's Lenny's cake. Member said...Big No No!!! Not food safe. Of course I covered foam completely in R I, then gumpaste. And topper was being removed, not eaten.  Some people. 

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 10

When I use oasis, styrofoam or even rice cereal treats, the whole interior is completely sealed, so nothing except fondant or modeling chocolate is exposed.  None of my models are for eating anyway, so I don't give it a second thought.  I even post progress pictures with it clearly visible.  Help! Need Fondant Boot FormerYou are right, some people!  

bvwilliams Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 10

Quote by @jchuck on 8 hours ago

I’ve seen this kit, and also have a few decorator friends who purchased it. Said it wasn’t worth it. I made my own shoe former. Traced the shape onto medium density cardboard and cut out. Then I bought green florist foam, which is very easy to carve into a shoe former shape. Glued plastic wrap on the florists foam, then glued on the cardboard onto the foam. Hope this makes sense..

Will you post a picture of what you made? It might help if I saw it.

bvwilliams Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 10

Oh, now I can see what type of foam it is.  But I'm still not sure how to carve it.  I've never done that before and don't have a template to go by to get the correct shape that will fit over the stiletto heel and sole form.  I already have the bottom part that's in the kit.  I just need the top part that looks like a foot for when I make a bootie style shoe.  Do you guys have a template I can use to shape the foam?

jchuck Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 10

I’m sure you can find a template on line if you google 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%