Lemon Cake Recipe

Baking By bvwilliams Updated 31 Mar 2019 , 10:38pm by abarker7

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 11

Hello.  I am looking for a good lemon cake recipe (preferably with a cake mix) that would be enough to fill two 10" round cake pans.  Most of the cake mix recipes that I've seen are for the old 18.25 oz size box.  I've tried one recipe with the smaller size mix and the slices crumbled and fell apart when it was cut.  Please suggest something using the new 15.25 size mix.  The number of lemon cake recipes on CC is overwhelming so it would be helpful if I could get them narrowed down.  

I would prefer a recipe that uses a white mix rather than a yellow or lemon cake mix because I'd like for the flavor and texture to be as natural as possible.  If it is a scratch recipe, please know that I will need at least 12 cups of batter.  Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 11

I doubt a mix recipe is going to give you enough batter for 2 10" pans.  You can use this recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe   with the smaller boxes w/o a problem.  To get enough batter for 2 10"ers I would use 1 1/2 boxes with all the other ingredients left as the recipe says.  OR just double the recipe and use the leftover batter for cupcakes or other small cakes you might need in the near future.  I'm sure you know freezing cakes is a good thing - helps a cake be more moist even if it's fzn only overnight.    There is a thread on here about how ot make up the 'lost' oz of mix - not sure I remember exactly but it's like buy 1 extra box and bag it up in 3 oz portions to add to 1 box bringing the total weight back up to 18.25.  If you get white mix it can be added to any flavor mix w/o deluting the flavor.   To make a white cake lemon - add the zest of 1 or 2 lemons plus some lemon extract.

bvwilliams Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks so much! I will give this a try.

bvwilliams Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:26am
post #4 of 11

I went to the link and noticed that the recipe doesn't list any oil (or butter) in the ingredients.  Is this correct or was it eliminated by mistake?

bvwilliams Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:29am
post #5 of 11

I read the recipe and noticed that there wasn't any oil listed in the ingredients.  Was this on purpose or was the oil eliminated by mistake?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:32am
post #6 of 11

The recipe is right as posted   There is no oil or butter 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Feb 2019 , 4:42am
post #7 of 11

I will vouch for kakeladi's *Original* WASC Recipe and I have made lemon cake, starting with a lemon cake mix.  I add lemon extract and lemon zest for an extra boost.  Also, if you are concerned about the difference in the size of the cake mixes, you can add 1/2 cup (for each cake mix used) of cake mix from a second box, which brings it up to the former size.  I usually do add the extra 1/2 cup of cake mix just to ensure the cake is nice and sturdy. I often carve cakes and this works perfectly.

bvwilliams Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks again, kakeladi and SandraSmiley.

abarker7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abarker7 Posted 5 Mar 2019 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 11

This is my alteration of the WASC that I use. It provides a lighter lemon flavor. According to the recipe, it should provide enough batter for a 12" pan, so you could probably double the recipe for 2 10" pans with a little leftover.

Lemon WASC Cake (1 2-layer cake - a lighter lemon flavor)

• 1 box white cake mix

• 1 c flour

• 1 c sugar

• 3 whole eggs

• 1 c water (include juice from lemon)

• 1 c sour cream

• 1 tsp lemon extract

• Lemon zest from 1 lemon

• Dash salt

Directions: Mix first three ingredients in separate bowl. Then mix remaining ingredients in mixing bowl. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just combined on low. Then mix 2 minutes on medium. Bake at 350 for approximately 24 minutes for 9-inch pan.

bvwilliams Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks, abarker7.  This is the recipe I ended up using and they loved it!

abarker7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abarker7 Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 11

Oh great! Glad you liked it :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%