What Do All Of You Do Before Covering The Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By Pucci Cakes Updated 21 Feb 2019 , 12:41am by Pucci Cakes

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 4:58am
post #1 of 18

Hello my beautiful friends. I was wondering what all of you normally do to a buttercream cake before covering it with fondant. I usually spray the cake with little water before but I've seen many videos where they just take the cake out of the fridge and cover it with fondant right away. Is it ok to just apply the fondant without spraying it first with water or anything else to make the fondant stick to the buttercream? Do you cover your cakes cold? Thanks

17 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 10:35am
post #2 of 18

I've never sprayed my cakes with water. I use SMBC and just cover with fondant direct from the fridge. Hope that helps!

Pucci Cakes Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 11:31am
post #3 of 18

Thank you me_me1. Don’t you get bulges or bubbles?

me_me1 Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 11:39am
post #4 of 18

I squish all the air out of the cake as I'm stacking it, before it goes in the fridge. 

Pucci Cakes Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 11:41am
post #5 of 18

Me_me1 do put the cake back in the fridge once you cover it with fondant?

me_me1 Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 18

Yes, most of the time I do. It sets up nice and firm before it has to travel anywhere. If it's a wedding cake, I'm aware of the condensation that will occur. If it's a client picking up, I let them know that it will most likely develop a little film of condensation and to just not touch it until it's evaporated.

Pucci Cakes Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 12:35pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you so much me_me1. BTW I love your work.

me_me1 Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 18

No problem, hope I could help a little! And thank you so much!!  Your work is fab too!   :)

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 18

I use smbc and cooked flour icing on my cakes. I also don’t apply water to my buttercream to apply fondant. I cover my cake cold also. I let my cake settle and let the fondant get a chance to adhere to the buttercream and set up before I smooth. I found, personally for me, if I smooth rigorously too soon,  the heat and friction  of smoothing starts to melt the buttercream underneath the fondant, and creates air bubbles. I know some smooth right after the apply there fondant, but that has created problems for me. I don’t refrigerate my cakes unless it’s hot and humid. But my fridge has a dehumidifier, so I never get any condensation on my cakes when I remove them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 18

I learned to use fondant back in the early 1990s   I was taught to b’cream then imeadiately cover with fondant   No water no frig’ing nothing   I use ABC  

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 18

I only add a bit of water if the icing has crusted so the fondant will stick. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 18

I have spritzed with water, but if I remove the cake from the refrigerator a few minutes before covering with fondant, it usually condensates enough to make the surface slightly damp and it is not necessary to spritz.  Actually, I've never had a lot of luck covering BC with fondant, so I've started  using ganache, which works much better for me.

jchuck Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:56pm
post #13 of 18

Well kakeladi 

If I just covered my bc cakes with fondant right away and didn’t smooch for sharp  edges, I would be fine. That’s how I did my earlier cakes. Now, like Sandra, if I’m covering my cake in fondant, I use ganache. Sets up, quickly, stays firm, and easy to smooth fondant afterwards. 

jchuck Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 18

I tried to post kakeladi"s boot cake in my last post. Unfortunately, CC wouldn't co-operate!!

Here it is Pucci Cakes for reference

https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1332908/2-d-cowboy-boot

Pucci Cakes Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 18

I’ve never used ganache before but I would love to try it. Is it more expensive to use ganache than smbc and less work? Is it more sweet than smbc and does it go well with all kinds of flavours? I always work with smbc because it’s not as sweet as abc and it’s very smooth. I don’t have a problem with getting sharp edges with smbc it’s just that after I spray with little water it becomes sticky and I have to work fast with the fondant. This is as sharp as I get my cakes (picture attached) or I just do the panelling method.What Do All Of You Do Before Covering The Cake With Fondant?What Do All Of You Do Before Covering The Cake With Fondant?

jchuck Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 10:38pm
post #16 of 18

Wow... Pucci cakes, you certainly don’t need ganache!! Your cakes are lovely, with clean crisp edges.  Cake envy here!! Tell me, do you smooth your cake right after applying your fondant? As I said in a earlier post, I put my fondant on a cold cake. But don’t smooth right away as the rubbing/friction seems to soften the buttercream/smbc/ganache underneath. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 12:18am
post #17 of 18

Your cakes are gorgeous, Pucci Cakes!  You seem to have fabulous success using SMBC.  I started using ganache because I had trouble with bagging, sagging  cakes.  Mostly I use white chocolate ganache because it has a mild flavor and does not over power a delicate cake.  If I am making a chocolate cake, I will use milk or dark chocolate.  I've never really compared costs, but off the top of my head, I would guess them to be similar, maybe ganache slightly more expensive.  Since I don't like fondant, I've been doing my cakes with a ganache finish without fondant.

Pucci Cakes Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 12:41am
post #18 of 18

Well thank you for your compliments. jchuck yes I do smooth my fondant as I'm applying it to the cake. SandraSmiley I do get the sagging and bulges sometimes so I poke the fondant with a needle to let air out and keep smoothing it every time I see a bubble. I will try ganache so hope it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%