Fondant Layer Under Stripes Or Not?

Decorating By louglou Updated 19 Feb 2019 , 6:08pm by SandraSmiley

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 8

I’ve done a few striped cakes and still can’t work out if it’s necessary to cover the cake entirely in fondant and then add stripes or just to stick the stripes to the buttercream.

I’m doing a vertical stripes cake this week and would rather not cover in fondant first. Will it work just as well with smooth buttercream?

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 8

I don’t see why not   

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 8

Should work just fine.  I would say it is only necessary to cover the entire cake with fondant first if that is the look your client wants.  If they only want the stripes as accent pieces then putting them on a buttercream coated cake would be perfectly okay.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 8

you could also stripe it with buttercream if that works -- like a basketweave tip -- the smooth side

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone. The cake is to be completely covered in alternating colored vertical stripes. I’ll try without the layer underneath. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 1:55am
post #6 of 8

If it is to be completely covered with stripes anyway, there is absolutely no reason to cover it with a solid piece of fondant first.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 8

What Sandra said.  Covering it in a layer of fondant only to cover that completely with vertical stripes of fondant is, in my opinion, a waste of fondant (aka money).

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

In my case, adding a whole piece of fondant, then covering completely with fondant stripes just means that I have to peel off two layers of fondant instead of one.  I hate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%