Cake Price - I Hate To Ask But...

Decorating By SweetBitesMs Updated 21 Feb 2019 , 12:20am by SandraSmiley

SweetBitesMs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBitesMs Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 20

Cake Price - I Hate To Ask But...I am horrible with prices... always have been.  I tried pricing them all out but either I'm told way too much or i'm too inexpensive.  She wants a double tier of this cake, adding a mermaid as well.  Size will be 8" bottom and 6" top.  She wants frosting except for the fondant pieces.  She also wants a smash cake.  Can y'all help me with prices please?

19 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 20

You mean 2 tiers   Of course you already know there many many things that enter here if you have read any of the many posts on here   My suggestion is around 300 dollars 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 20

39 servings -- gonna round it to 40 just for easier math -- i'd do $6 -$7 per serving and $25 for the noah turns 6 thing and it would not be edible $265 - $305 -- if my math is right --  if the kids name is bartholemew frederick or something long i'd charge more -- $2 per letter 

and for the legs on the octopus, and the fins on the fish, and the little red stripes coming off the crab, and his arms -- don't try to cut those out -- make snakes of fondant and press them down -- much easier/faster --

make all the eyes at once with royal -- pipe the bubbles on -- for the shells and all i'd press candy clay into chocolate molds

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 20

How do you normally price your cakes? I would agree with kakeladi on the price. For my area, I might even be slightly under at around 285.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 20

pipe the bubbles on and flatten with your finger as soon as possible -- it might have to sit for a few minutes but don't let them fully crust before flattening -- you could use a smoothy smooth uber clean towel too +1

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 2:18am
post #6 of 20

I’m horrible at this as everyone is learning and tend to undercharge for everything...but even my cheap calculations would lead me to $248 plus tax.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 20

And I don't think people added in for the smash cake.... especially if it is a mini version of the one pictured. 

ypierce82 Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 20

I didn't account for the smash cake. I only do 4 inch smash cakes, with simple decorations, and no charge. If they want a 6 to match the cake including decorations, I price it the same as a regular cake. I was asked to do a 10 inch smash cake for free and just sat there with a blank look lmao

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 20

I tend to agree that you should charge at least $300 for the main cake (including a small, modeled mermaid instead of the custom topper) or $325 for the two tiered cake and a small, simply decorated smash cake (4" or 5").  Of course some people tell you your prices are too high!  That's because they think they are entitled to a bespoke, designer cake at Walmart prices.  That kind of customers you do not need.

johnson6ofus Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 20

Quote by @ypierce82 on 7 minutes ago

I didn't account for the smash cake. I only do 4 inch smash cakes, with simple decorations, and no charge. If they want a 6 to match the cake including decorations, I price it the same as a regular cake. I was asked to do a 10 inch smash cake for free and just sat there with a blank look lmao

And you have to account for people like that who expect it. OP doesn't state the size of the smash cake, or customer expectations. 

-K8memphis Posted 19 Feb 2019 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 20

yes I forgot the smash cake 

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 12:07am
post #12 of 20

A 10 inch smash cake?!?!?!?! That’s bigger than the actual cake!!!!!! Is the whole party going to take turns smashing it like a piñata?!?!

ypierce82 Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 12:32am
post #13 of 20

That's what they wanted and expected me to provide....free

johnson6ofus Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 3:48am
post #14 of 20

of course it is free. And the cake they order and pay for is a 4" one? :)    Sheesh...people amaze me...

johnson6ofus Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 3:49am
post #15 of 20

of course it is free. And the cake they order and pay for is a 4" one? :)    Sheesh...people amaze me...

-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 20

i'm not into smash cakes -- maybe a cupcake or an oversized cupcake -- or I have one of those rose pans that bakes up six  roses for girls just to give you the size  then the birthday girl would get one little rose cake -- or a train cake that will make an engine and a caboose car for boys 'cause they're a little smaller than the rose -- I make a plain vanilla pound cake -- no food color -- and a little glaze --

I don't get wanting your kid to get all covered with icing and eating all that mess and getting all sticky ready for a bath -- not my thing -- I don't see it as a good memory -- "here I am at my party -- got all dressed up and now i'm covered in crap" as a kid I would be sitting there saying "wth was mom thinking"

stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye joy

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 20

You are so funny, -K8memphis!  I don't think one-year-olds register dirty!  I've only done one smash cake and it was a 4", but it did have six layers, rainbow cake.

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:42pm
post #18 of 20

4" with six layers. Happy baby!Cake Price - I Hate To Ask But...

-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 9:47pm
post #19 of 20

omg -- I would have registered it i'm sure! and probably gotten yelled at too hahahaha

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Feb 2019 , 12:20am
post #20 of 20

His parents were delighted!  I, on the other hand, was a like you, a bit horrified.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%