Gumpaste / Fondant Roses

Decorating By Nanas.sweet.treats Updated 1 Mar 2019 , 6:22am by Nanas.sweet.treats

Nanas.sweet.treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 31

Gumpaste / Fondant RosesGumpaste / Fondant RosesGumpaste / Fondant RosesI had a request for a 50th wedding anniversary cake that I'm doing this upcoming weekend. The cakes they requested had fondant / sugar paste roses. I've started on the roses early case I run into problems this is my first time actually doing roses with fondant plus Tylos powder.  I let my petals dry overnight. However they're not as flexible, but I'll find whenever I attach the Rose petals before drying out they tend to droop and tear. I'm wondering is this due to the water that I'm using to glue the Roses? Would it be better to use  a light coat  of melted white candy melts?

30 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 31

I would want to use gum paste only for roses -- but I can see me rigging something up with a lot of corn starch too -- for your project  i'd add more tylose before I added chocolate -- a lot of fondanty mixtures like this are better the next day -- and I often dry mine upside down --

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 31

well I dry them upside down when I use wires inside instead of toothpicks and wrap the wire over/around the side of a cake pan that's been set on the turntable so there's room for them to dangle down -- but you need a nice stiff product too

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 31

I have made many many roses w/fondant w/tylose   Do not dry the petels   It does sound like you are using too much water   Just a very little goes a long way   Make a slurry of fondant and water to mud consistency   What I  see in yours is the lack of movement   Pinch and tweak the edges    Make the edges thinner leaving the rest of the petal a bit thicker by running a ball tool over the edges before they dry will also help

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 31

BTW you can see some of my roses in my photos  

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 31
Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 31
Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 31

I am by no means an expert but when I make roses I have used just fondant and also used a mix of fondant and gumpaste. I cut petals, thin the edges, give them some shape by rolling edges and pinching. I then lay the petals on dessert spoons to dry a little - says a few minutes. Then I attach them to the rose. They tend to hold shape. I often dry upside down for the first couple of layers

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 31

So here is the cake that was requested,  except it's going to be square and 3 tiers .

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 31

All my replies are not being posted for some reason. But anyway here's a picture of the cake that was requested except it's going to square with three tiers instead of two.

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 31

Gumpaste / Fondant Roses

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 31

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. So I suppose I should throw out the old roses and start over?

kakeladi Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 31

I also am having trouble posting    You really don’t need to throw them out Just make more improved ones  :)  I forgot to say to put them in spoons to dry maybe an hour  - yes good tip   You can use plastic ones    

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 31

debbieshobby -- yeah I do that too -- the spoons

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 7:18am
post #15 of 31

So here you go ladies.  I pulled out all the toothpicks and replaced them with floral wire. I stuck them in there with candy melts to ensure that they stayed. I think it looks somewhat better than the other ones however I got a little creative and used a heart shape cutter to make the inside petals and then I used a round shape cutter to make the last two rows of the out side petals. Gumpaste / Fondant Roses

-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 31

that is really nice, nana -- next one make the bud tighter in the center so you can't see down into it -- very very pretty!

blush

kakeladi Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 5:48pm
post #17 of 31

Great  improvement   Do as K8 said 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 8:04pm
post #18 of 31

Your roses look at least as good as the ones in the inspiration picture. Absolutely no reason to toss them!  

I make all of my roses, starting with a cone made from gum paste or styrofoam, mounted on a wire.  That makes it a whole lot easier to manage your petals and get a tight center.  I use spoons for letting my larger leaves dry for several minutes, about 10 or 15, and hang the bloom upside down when it starts getting large enough for the outer petals to droop.  It needs to dry upside down for about 30 minutes.  It does help to use a very light coating of glue or it gets too wet and slippery.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Feb 2019 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtRGBaWgRCc&feature=youtu.be

Gumpaste / Fondant RosesKara rose. once the centers tightly wound, you can add as many, or as few petals as you wish.

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 12:36am
post #20 of 31

So I did try to wind the Bud's of the Roses tightly but did not work out so what I do is make little tiny Buds and secure them in the center and they turned out really well. 

...here is the finished product. Not perfect by any means, but I thought it turned out well. 

Gumpaste / Fondant Roses

-K8memphis Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 1:34am
post #21 of 31

lotsa hard work there, nana -- pretty pretty roses!!!

kakeladi Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 2:06am
post #22 of 31

Great work gal   Glad we could help 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 2:35am
post #23 of 31

they look good!  well done.  

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 3:03am
post #24 of 31

Beautiful cake and great roses!  Your roses look like satin.  If you enjoy making flowers, you may want to try gum paste, which (to me) is much easier to work with for flowers and drys very quickly.

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 4:33am
post #25 of 31

Thank you! And Thanks for the help. The satin looking roses were completely intentional....lol.. as far as the gumpaste I know it's better to use gumpaste but it's really hard for me to work gumpaste because of the arthritis I have in my hands and fibromyalgia. So I use fondant and tylose powder.  I didn't have a foam pad to shape the petals either. I used the balling tool and the palm of my hand. So I thought they turned out OK. 

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 2:49pm
post #26 of 31

The suggestion of using gum paste wasn't a criticism because your fondant roses are beautiful.  I just find it easier to use for making flowers.  My hands are very twisted and crippled with arthritis, too, and it helps me to warm my fondant, gum paste, modeling paste and modeling chocolate in the microwave for a few seconds, when I am getting started, to make it soft and easier to handle.

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 6:21pm
post #27 of 31

Sandra smiley ☺ I understand, I didn't take it as criticism. I'm always open to any suggestions  because I have so much to learn. I didnt think about the microwave. Thanks! I will try that. 

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 10:50pm
post #28 of 31

I would not ever be able to manage any of those pastes without warming them first.  I helps a bunch and it only takes a few seconds.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 11:02pm
post #29 of 31

Your cake is lovely, and so are your roses. If you a medium density mat of some kind, or silicone mat, you can certainly use that to thin your petals with a ball tool. I just usually use my fingers with my petals under some plastic wrap, or a ziplock bag. Just push on the petals gently until I get them to the shape I want, and the thinness. 

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 1 Mar 2019 , 6:22am
post #30 of 31

@jchuck Thank you☺

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%