Decorating Help - Piping Gel Question...

Decorating By MerMadeBakedGoods Updated 18 Feb 2019 , 12:25am by SandraSmiley

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 16 Feb 2019 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all, 

I’m starting some decorations for next week’s cake since there are a BILLiON things that need to dry.

my question is..I’d like to make my Dominos shiny- canDecorating Help - Piping Gel Question... I paint them with piping gel? Or will it dull by next Saturday?

I would appreciate any suggestions!

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2019 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 16

That;s what I did for shiny cake decorations.   It will not dry - will remain sticky for a long time so that might effect your decission.   Hopefully someone else will have other suggestions also.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 16 Feb 2019 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Kakeladi! Does it ever dry? If not...maybe I’ll paint them Friday? But if they take forever to dry but they finally do at some point, I should paint them now!!

kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2019 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 16

Sorry I don't remember.  It's been many years since I did it.

kakeladi Posted 16 Feb 2019 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 16

Oh and I've seen on t.v. where if it's fondant they use a steamer to make it shine but I've heard that only lasts a short time - like an hr or 2.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 16 Feb 2019 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 16

Wow- that’s fancy pants! Thanks again, Kakeladi!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 1:12am
post #7 of 16

You are correct, kakeladi, steaming only lasts for a short while.  I would use confectioner's glaze to make them shiny.  If you don't have confectioner's glaze, you can mix 1 part vodka (or lemon juice) and 1 part white corn syrup, which makes a shiny glaze.  Caution:  it is very hard to get vodka and corn starch to mix, so it the results are sometimes spotty, and it does take a while (a few days) to dry.  Once dry, a second coat could be applied for better coverage.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 1:16am
post #8 of 16

Man - the wealth of info you guys have is amazing. Thanks, Sandra - I’ll try it and keep ya posted.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 1:20am
post #9 of 16

You are very welcome, MerMadeBakedGoods!  I've used the vodka/corn syrup mixture on leaves a bunch of times and it works quite well for small objects, so your dominos should work just fine.  I would not want to use it on a large object, too spotty.  Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 16

gum arabic, just a white powder plus water brushed on will dry fine and very shiny --

you can get it online or in a cake deco store -- maybe in michael's or hobby lobby if you are in the states

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks, K8! I’ll add that to my Michael’s shopping list. 

Sandra - I used your method this morning - it seems nice and shiny! I learned that I shouldn’t paint over black fondant because it will ever so slightly bleed into the surrounding white..but to fix that I just painted around the black dots on the dominos! 

Thanks for all your help..I might be back for more considering this guy just added a CRIBBAGE board to the list of decorations on his order!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 16

I am happy that it worked for you, MerMadeBakedGoods!  You should be sure and add a hefty fee for the addition of a cribbage board!

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 12:07am
post #13 of 16

Well....as many people on this site are slowly learning about me - I’m a moron when it comes to pricing! I charged him $15 and am only making it about 6 inches long. But AS I’m making this, I’m realizing I undercharged AGAIN!!!!

so maybe I’ll leave out some detail?

Decorating Help - Piping Gel Question...

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 12:17am
post #14 of 16

Good gracious woman!  If nothing else, at least charge $3 per serving, even with minimal decorations.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 12:23am
post #15 of 16

Oh no- I mean I charged $15 for that fondant decoration. I finally upped my price to $3.50 per serving buttercream and & $4 per serving fondant...so I’m finally charging a reasonable price instead of basically giving cakes away :). Although many say that I should charge more? I dunno....

I’m definitely doing better though...I used to not charge more for the intricate fondant decorations because I was too nervous about whether or not the customer would like it :(. But I’m not doing that anymore!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Feb 2019 , 12:25am
post #16 of 16

Well, thank goodness!  You are on the right track!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%