Good Tasting Black Fondant?

Decorating By CassiaM Updated 14 Feb 2019 , 3:08am by SandraSmiley

CassiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiaM Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 4

Is this even possible? Lol

I make MMF, and in the past I have tried mixing cocoa powder in with the PS then adding black gel food colouring, and the fondant doesn't turn out great. From what I remember it's not very smooth, and kind of crumbly, but this was awhile ago and I think I've blocked it out of my memory... I need to make some for an upcoming cake that I'm doing though so I need to figure this out. I don't need a huge amount, it's for stripes on 10" cake. I would prefer to not buy Satin Ice because I'm doing this cake out of my own pocket and probably won't use it again for years. I also use Wilton food gel because I'm in Canada and Americolor isn't readily available (and I need it for next weekend). 

I have read a bit about using Candy melts. Does it really mess with the elasticity of the MMF? Would using melted dark chocolate or chocolate chips be a better or equally as good an option?

Thanks for any help in advance!

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 4

Since you are only using it for the stripes, I would purchase a small pack of Wilton fondant.  It comes in very small amounts and unless you cake is very large, one packet will probably enough.  It costs like $2.00 at Walmart in the US.

Yes, you can make modeling chocolate from Wilton black Candy Melts it would work perfectly for your stripes.  I always use candy melts for modeling chocolate because it works much better, tastes just fine and is much cheaper.

CassiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiaM Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 1:58am
post #3 of 4

Thank you, I will look into getting the Wilton brand! For some reason I was under the impression it was awful tasting.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 3:08am
post #4 of 4

I don't think it tastes any worse than most others.  I hate all of it, even my homemade marshmallow fondant.  Most people pull it off anyway, and you are not adding a whole lot of it.  If you like, you can knead in more flavoring, but use caution because black fondant can get sticky quickly.  If you want to make modeling chocolate, here is the recipe and directions.  You can cute way back on the recipe, since you just need a little.  Use one 12 ounce pack of black Wilton Candy Melts and 1/4 cup corn syrup.  That should be plenty.

https://mcgreevycakes.com/modeling-chocolate/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%