Cherry Flavour

Baking By CassiaM Updated 17 Feb 2019 , 3:44am by SandraSmiley

CassiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiaM Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 24

Hello all,

I've been put in charge of making my sister's surprise 40th birthday cake. I am just a hobbyist but I like my cakes to look and taste professional. My other sister knows the birthday girl's tastes better than I do and she wants to do something cherry flavoured. I think I'll be making a 2 tier cake (one layer will be under fondant, the other one will be under gold 'sequins'), and I've been asked to make one of the cakes chocolate, and one white. So to get that cherry flavour in the cake, would flavouring the buttercream be the best way? How should I go about doing that? I also suggested the possibility of doing cherry flavoured ganache under the fondant, I'm not sure how I would go about doing that or if it would taste any better, it was just something that came to mind (because chocolate/cherry is so darn delicious).

Originally she wanted Black Forest, but still wants it to be put under fondant and I explained that the whipped cream and real cherries wouldn't work there. 

Anyone have ideas for what I could do to add a cherry flavour to this cake?

Thanks!

23 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 24

Use cherry pie filling for the filling   You coding add some intol the batter also    There’s flavoring that you can get if you want more or to flavor the fondant 

CassiaM Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 24

Would I just use cherry pie filling by itself in between the layers or mixed in with Bc? I would worry about the layers sliding around I think! Would the flavouring you speak of just be a cherry extract?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 24

If you use cherry pie filling, be sure to build a strong buttercream dam to keep it from leaking.  For additional stability, put a blob of buttercream right in the center of the cake and put the pie filling in between the dam and the center blob. The buttercream should help stablize the cake.

I have used cherry flavoring which comes in tiny bottles and is highly concentrated, used for making candy.  Freeze dried cherry is delicious, both types can be added to your buttercream.

CassiaM Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 2:01am
post #5 of 24

I will have to look into how to make a buttercream dam! The fruit would be okay to use under fondant?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 2:08am
post #6 of 24

I would add some almond to the cherry stuff -- and just another random thought -- they have those chocolate covered dried cherries -- not the cherry cordials but nothing wrong with those either -- those would be good the dried ones chopped up into some buttercream or added to some batter -- mmm love chocolate cherry!!! or used for décor maybe -- maybe not -- 

the fruit is ok to use under fondant if you keep it fridged

kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 2:09am
post #7 of 24

B’cream dam is simply  a piped line   Use tip 12 or just a coupler w/o a tip   Go around the top of the cake at the edge   I like the suggestion from Sandra of a blob in the center to hold the tiers together 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 2:09am
post #8 of 24

I mean the pie filling -- you don't have to fridge the chopped up ones I was mentioning

kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 2:13am
post #9 of 24

Hey the chocolate covered idea is great   We make a great team but she has to promise to send us some of the results  

-K8memphis Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 2:20am
post #10 of 24

YES!! i'm in!!! yay, lynnie heart_eyes

I found this recipe for a bailey's irish cream chocolate cake (making sign of the cross) https://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/baileys-chocolate-poke-cake/ for my birthday but now the idea of a chocolate cherry one is over taking the irsih cream -- maybe I could do two layers HAHAHAHA one of each

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 3:03am
post #11 of 24

Lynne,  Kate taught me the trick of putting a blob of BC in the center of the layer, along with the dam, for stability.   The two of you teach me something new every day!

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 3:13am
post #12 of 24

Here is a tutorial by Krazy Kool Cakes Way on how to cream a dam and fill your tiers.  Just for stability, when she pipes a circle of buttercream around the outside of the layer, go ahead and add a blob about 1 inch in diameter and approximately the same height as the dam in the center of the layer.

CassiaM Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 24

Thank you guys! You are so wonderful!

i have never refrigerated fondant. Are there special tips to doing that without having a sweating a ruined fondant cake afterward? I’m actually not sure this will be an option for me (using cherry pie filling) because my home fridge isn’t terribly big to begin with... 

kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 6:00pm
post #15 of 24

If possible put it in a cake box which is put in a plastic bag   Take out 1hr before to come to room temp   Then remov from wrappings   

CassiaM Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 24

I should not be put in charge of such important party details, I am horrible at decision making! Lol

Now I can’t decide whether I should a) use cherry preserves either mixed in buttercream, or on their own as a filling (with a stiff Bc dam), or  b) use cherry pie filling on its own or mixed in with the Bc! If I use either the preserves or the pie filling on its own, do I use a chocolate buttercream or vanilla? 

she wants both a white cake (top tier) and a chocolate cake (bottom tier), so do I use the cherry in both?! So many decisions!

Additionally, I’m now stressed about keeping this cake in the fridge so I don’t make everyone at the party sick. How long can it be out of the fridge? If I did as much as the crumb coat on Friday then put the fondant and final buttercream and sequins on Saturday (party is Saturday evening), would it need to go back into the fridge at some point during the day after the decorating is done on it? I’m not even positive the hall the party is at will have a fridge to keep it in!

CassiaM Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 9:06pm
post #17 of 24

I should not be put in charge of such important party details, I am horrible at decision making! Lol

Now I can’t decide whether I should a) use cherry preserves either mixed in buttercream, or on their own as a filling (with a stiff Bc dam), or  b) use cherry pie filling on its own or mixed in with the Bc! If I use either the preserves or the pie filling on its own, do I use a chocolate buttercream or vanilla? 

she wants both a white cake (top tier) and a chocolate cake (bottom tier), so do I use the cherry in both?! So many decisions!

Additionally, I’m now stressed about keeping this cake in the fridge so I don’t make everyone at the party sick. How long can it be out of the fridge? If I did as much as the crumb coat on Friday then put the fondant and final buttercream and sequins on Saturday (party is Saturday evening), would it need to go back into the fridge at some point during the day after the decorating is done on it? I’m not even positive the hall the party is at will have a fridge to keep it in!

kakeladi Posted 15 Feb 2019 , 8:24pm
post #18 of 24

..........should not be put in charge of such important party details, I am horrible at decision making! ......    I know the feeling as I often go though the same thing :) 

........... I should a) use cherry preserves either mixed in buttercream, or on their own as a filling (with a stiff Bc dam), or  b) use cherry pie filling on its own or mixed in with the Bc! ............   Well only you can decide but I still like the idea of using pie filling - w/o mixing it w/b'cream.    Since it has been stated the recipient likes cherry I guess I'd use the cherry filling in the choco batter also and use something else for the vanilla tier. Cherry is  a nice flavor for most people but some might like to have something w/o cherry overload

.........now stressed about keeping this cake in the fridge so I don’t make everyone at the party sick. How long can it be out of the fridge? .....    If you have someplace very cool where you can keep it don't worry about frig'ing it.  I don't know how many cake I have made w/o ever frig'ing a single one (I did most of my decorating back before the internet and all this wonderful help was available) and as far as I know I didn't make a single person sick!  Yes, the more modern ideas are good but don't let it make you sick with worry. 

kakeladi Posted 15 Feb 2019 , 8:27pm
post #19 of 24

..........crumb coat on Friday then put the fondant and final buttercream and sequins on Saturday (party is Saturday evening), would it need to go back into the fridge at some point during the day after the decorating is done on it?.........

No, once you finish it on Sat it can be kept at cool  room temp

CassiaM Posted 15 Feb 2019 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 24

Thank you kakeladi, you are such a huge help!

I have been leaning towards using the cherry pie filling because she really does love it. My next question is going to be how to doctor a devil's food box mix to a) make it sturdier/more dense and b) make it fill 2 10" pans without having to use 2 boxes and now c) do I just put some of the cherry pie filling in with the chocolate cake mix or just pick out a few of the cherries and mix those in...? . Perhaps I should start a new thread for all those questions.

Maybe for the vanilla tier I will just use a vanilla BC with a white cake mix. Decisions decisions. I agree it's a lot of cherry and it's nice to have another option unless people aren't crazy about it.  

kakeladi Posted 15 Feb 2019 , 8:48pm
post #21 of 24

Quote by @CassiaM on 4 minutes ago 

......... My next question is going to be how to doctor a devil's food box mix to a) make it sturdier/more dense and b) make it fill 2 10" pans without having to use 2 boxes and now c) do I just put some of the cherry pie filling in with the chocolate cake mix or just pick out a few of the cherries and mix those in...? ........... For 2 10"x2" pans you are going to need at least 1 & 1/2 boxes of mix - no way round it.  Here is the perfect recipe you need to make it  more sturdy/dense:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe      It will make enough batter for one 10" round with some leftover.  If you want enough to fill two 10"ers you need to use 2 mixes with the recipe and the other ingredients OR make two recipes using the leftover batter for cupcakes or small cakes for the family.  They freeze well and can be kept in the fzr for up to a year when wrapped well in plastic wrap then paced in a ziploc bag.  Surely you will have need for them sometime in the near future :)  The extra batter from 2 batches will fill one 9"er or maybe  an 8"er & 6"er.

Maybe for the vanilla tier I will just use a vanilla BC with a white cake mix. Decisions decisions. I agree it's a lot of cherry and it's nice to have another option unless people aren't crazy about it.  ..............Exactly what I was thinking :) 

CassiaM Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 2:28am
post #22 of 24

Thank you very much for that! 

So for 2 10” cakes, I would double the recipe? 2 boxes of cake mix, 2 C of flour etc. 

also any idea how long I would need to make the 2 10” cakes? I use baking strips and aluminum Wilton pans, but I can’t recall how long it goes in for... I probably baked at 325 the last time but I don’t even remember when that was. 

kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 3:39am
post #23 of 24

Using 2mixes will give you more than you need for 2/10” pans    Make cupcakes or 6”er to freeze        I bake each for 20 minuets at 300 degrees,then turn it up to 325 for an equal time or until you can smell that wonderful cake in the next room    If it has pulled away from the sides of the pan it probably is over baked   You don’t need strips if you use my “original WASC recipe “

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 3:44am
post #24 of 24

I do not use the baking strips for 10" cakes, but use baking cores instead.  I usually bake at 325 to 340 degrees F. and I find that it just takes too long when I use the strips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%