Who Makes The Cake For Your Birthday?

Lounge By bleary Updated 14 Feb 2019 , 3:29am by rychevamp

bleary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bleary Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 24

Like most people here, I spend a lot of time making cakes for other people's birthdays. But nobody makes a cake for me on my birthday, so I usually just go without.

This year I might make one for myself.

Does anyone else have to do that?

Sorry - can't reply yet (I think), but I will read your responses!

23 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 24

my husband and/or my daughter and/or me -- but we often buy something decadent because we can control the servings that way too -- a whole cake is too much for me -- 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 24

Nobody! Since my birthday is January 2nd, I'm lucky if I have some candles on the new year store bought dessert. On the day of my birthday, I usualy eat left over holiday dessert... if I eat any.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 24

I have made my own cake for years. Mostly because I know what I want and what I like, and my husband does not have to pay someone $350 for the extravagant cake that I want every year lmao

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 24

I use my birthday as an excuse to make a new kind of cake! I'm always looking for excuses to try something new and not have an entire cake for me and my husband to consume!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 1:19am
post #6 of 24

I’m with Jessica 32 

I make my own bday cake so I can try new techniques, cakes, flavours etc. Here is mine I did for my last birthday in July. 

https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3410929/buttercream-painted-cake

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 24

I always did so I could make whatever I wanted, but now we do angel food with strawberries or nothing at all since we don't need the calories!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 24

The last time I can remember anyone making a cake for me, I was probably 15 or 16 and my mama made it for me.  I usually do not have a cake, but I did make one last year.  We went out to dinner with friends and we had the cake for dessert.      Who Makes The Cake For Your Birthday?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 24

My husband will usually buy me some cupcakes from a local bakery that we really like (and used for our wedding).  I am not big into birthdays, to me they are just another day, but I will never turn down cupcakes :)

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 24

Dairy Queen

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 24

I haven't had a birthday cake since I left home at 18.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 24

it's 'bout time, cakefan! purple_heart

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 24

I’m with many of my friends here  Nobody even remembers -well daughter usually takes me out for lunch mainly because her husband also has his the same day but no cake 

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 24

I have my husband order mine from SusieCakes. Her cakes aren't bad and at least that way I get a cake. 

If some of you lived near me I would order from you!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Feb 2019 , 12:27pm
post #15 of 24

My hubby makes mine and he always seems to go wrong somewhere lol, I actually really like it, it makes it memorable.

I have had a chocolate cake that shrunk in the middle in a figure 8 shape (so the middle third of it, not the middle on top pulled in lol).

I have had a cake with holes in the bottom because he tried adding chocolate chips to a Hershey choc cake that is really runny and they all sank and stuck to the tin.

A banana cake topped with runny ABC (that I hate haha) and then swirled with gel food colour to get a swirled effect.

This year it was a banana cake that he accidently left half of the flour out of (he was making it with my daughter and kept getting distracted while working the recipe out as he was making a half batch), it was really gummy lol.

Every year it is something else that goes wrong so at least he keeps me on my toes wondering what it will be lol.

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Feb 2019 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 24

Mike has never made me a cake, but he has grilled some awesome steaks for my birthday!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 1:21pm
post #17 of 24

I don't have too much of a sweet tooth and don't actually like cake - I know what tastes good and I know my stuff tastes awesome, but it's not something I would buy myself as a treat or dessert. I just like making the stuff  :)

If I do have a dessert, it's more likely to be something like apple pie or pavlova. Even more likely to be some cheese though  :)

me_me1 Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 1:25pm
post #18 of 24

Ooooh, Sandra...  awesome steak...  you've sent me down memory lane. Best steak I ever had was in this little restaurant in Latvia. Melt in the mouth, totally drool worthy steak. And not just one piece... oh no. A steak, covered with grilled peach slices, covered with ANOTHER STEAK, and topped with half a grilled tomato that was smothered in gorgeous cheese. With a champagne and mushroom stuffed potato with it!! AMAZING.

Then these little Latvian boot scooters started up on the dancefloor which was entertaining. And then we went outside in the -30C night, tipped water down a hill, let it freeze and then tried to surf down the hill. 

It was an odd, vodka fuelled evening   :)

jchuck Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 1:40pm
post #19 of 24

me_me1 My Mom was an awesome baker. Made wonderful deserts, especially cakes. But like you, she wasn’t particularly crazy about cake. So she usually made herself a pie for her birthday. Rhubarb or rhubarb/strawberry was one of her favs, then apple. I love cake, but I do like me some pie too. Heck, I just l love me some desserts...    :o)

me_me1 Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 2:00pm
post #20 of 24

I've been wanting to get more into pies recently...  saw some beautifully intricate pie covers that were very inspiring. Maybe when it's winter and there's a bit of a lull in the wedding season here   :)

Mmmm, apple pie, tons of cinnamon and cardamom... and cream...  *drooling over here right now*    :)

jchuck Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 2:10pm
post #21 of 24

me_me1

Ahhh...summer, what’s that!!! Third winter storm within a week. To me pies are great ANY time of the year!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 8:44pm
post #22 of 24

me_me1, your Latvia adventure sounds like a hoot!  I love all kinds of desserts (like June!) and pies are among my favorite.  Mama sometimes made me a coconut pie for my birthday. Other favorites are apple, peach, chocolate, cherry, lemon meringue!

jchuck Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 11:50pm
post #23 of 24

Ooooo Sandra

Coconut cream pie..yummy, yummy. It was my Dad’s all time fav. I just discovered a small Mom & Pop restaurant that serves a coconut cream pie just as good as my Mom made. Bonus, I can allow myself one slice, and not eat the whole pie, like I would if I made it myself!!!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 3:29am
post #24 of 24

I make my own if I want one.  I use it as a time to experiment with something I want to try. I've made BB-8, Wonder Woman themed, this year I'm thinking about Hei-Hei from Moana since I just got a standing sugar structure set. We'll see what kind of motivation I have next month

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%